• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Farallones Race Tragedy

Thomas H

Member I
No Race Permits

Just confirmed that USCG S.F. Sector has put a hold on ALL OffSHORE race permits! USCG want to bring in the US Sailing to review ALL Safety Regs. Read Latitude 38 Today. QUESTION, Do you agree with the USCG decision?

Guy Stevens

Easier way of maintaining safety on small boats in races

I gave up racing a long time ago. Too many rules made by people that have no idea how boats work, or what is safe. Too much money going to organizations that exist only to make money for the people that run them.

The results of this accident will be to further increase the amount of $$$ you have to spend to be in races here. To further limit and reduce the number of people that will now or ever race sailboats. The accident was a tragedy and I feel deeply for those that were lost, and those that are left to morn the loss. The cause of the accident was human judgement, it happens every day. A lot more people die on the freeway, a lot more people drown on the beach, more people are killed as innocent bystanders in Oakland and San Fransisco gun fights than are killed offshore racing.

This accident will result in more safety equipment that has to be aboard, more money spent on buying a solution to a problem that is not a material problem. The issue is that we as people are fallible, there is no way to remove human fallibility from anywhere that there are humans. It doesn't matter if we are on the offshore race course, or in our own bedrooms, humans frequently make bad choices.

US sailing and the coast guard are going to come up with some great nanny state rules for the next race. Increase the cost of participating in a yacht race in the US, and drive more and more people out of the sport with greater and greater costs for participation. This will come in the form of more "safety" gear required, more fees for participation, increased restrictions on participation, and more $$$ given to US sailing. This will happen every time there is an accident.

The spiral downward continues.

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
And then Newport to Ensenada happened

:esad:

The Catalina ferry also found a floater outside Long Beach yesterday but it must not have been related to the 4 lost down outside San Diego, in the race.

I'm with Guy on this one. I think the rules and extra equipment actually make us more reckless and might cause accidents just because of a false feeling of security. I raised that point over in the Cruisers Forum while I was still there and the thread still comes alive every couple of months ... almost as bad as an anchoring "discussion".

-Sven

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
You cannot buy the best safety gear!

It is found between the ears! The problem is that like all safety gear mandated,purchased, hyped, or otherwise touted as the be all end all savior, IT MUST BE USED AT ALL TIMES TO BE EFECTIVE!