• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Roller Furling

Bobg

Member I
Hi All, I have a Ericson 29 and was woundering if anyone out there could recommend a decent roller furling for it. Thanks a bunch Bobg

escapade

Inactive Member
Harken & Pro Furl both make sturdy units that can be used strictly as roller furlers or easily converted to a racing foil (remove the drum). The foil shape (oval as opposed to round) allows cleaner air flow over the head sail which helps pointing as well as speed. You ask why a cruiser might need to point a little higher? Picture yourself trying to sail off a lee shore in heavy weather. Every little bit helps. Besides, you bought a sail boat, not a power boat. Right? Why hamper your sailing performance?
Hood & Schaefer both make good units, also. My only complaint is the shape of the foil.
I have a Harken furler on my 1988 E34. It's still working fine after 15 years of service. All that's required is annual lubing of the bearings w/McLube after you flush them with clean water. Plus, Harken has been very helpful with answering questions and providing parts.
I'm sure other's will have different opinion's, this is my $.02 worth.
Have fun & sail fast.
Bud E34 "Escapade"

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Furling

Bob,
I see you are in the Great Lakes-I am in Chicago-call me directly to discuss furling-there are several options that will work-the choice having to do with where you are and how you use the boat.
Regards,
Seth
312-735-6360

Joe Benedict

Member II
Harken Furler

I have an Ericson 29 with a Harken Roller Furler installed. Unfortunately, I bought the boat in late September so I haven't even sailed it. Some modification to the anchor rollers was necesary to install it. Basically, the rollers were extended out on to a plank (sprit). The sail is made by Doyle foir the furler. The boat is currently in Crowley's Yacht Yard in Chicago.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
furling

Harken, Profurl, and Furlex are all high quality and well-supported.
The CDI is better suited to smaller boats-but you might get away with it.
Since you mentioned Crowley's yard, Dan Knight (Crowleys' rigger) has installed all of these-tell him you are in touch with me and we can get you a great price on the system and new sail or conversion!