• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 36C Refrigeration

OliveOyle

Member I
We're looking for some advice on refrigeration units for converting over our ice box. Has anyone tried Technautics Coolblue? We want to use a DC unit. But not sure where to start, any advice would appreciated.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Cool" threads on this site...

I am no authority on refrigeration... but will put one into our 34 footer sometime in the next couple of years.
If you click on the "search" icon, upper right portion of this page, and search on the word "refrigeration" you will get 13 hits....
It is a subject much on everyone's mind, with block ice getting harder to find and the attractiveness of having cold food and drink "just like at home".

Here is a link to the system that one of my friends installed in his sailboat -- it's high on our idea list, as well. We are leaning toward the "keel cooler" system.

http://www.frigoboat.com/home.html

Best,
Loren in PDX
Olson 34 #8

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Refrigeration

I am installing the cool blue system on my E-35. I gave both the evaperator plate and holding plate systems carefull consideration. Both cliam to be more efficiient than the other. I guess it depends on how you will use your boat, day sails or long distance cruising. For daysails maybe the evaperator plate is better. But I am looking for a system that will run once or twice a day not cycle on and off all day. While cruising or long distance racing I run the engine about every other day. This means I can freeze the holding plate while the engine is running and take no energy from the battery. When I dont run the engine the battery will do the job. With this in mind the combo unit, engine driven and DC would be the best choice, but it costs alot more and the E-35 dose not have room in the engine compartment for anything else.
The Frigoboat system uses the keel cooler in some cases. This seems like a good thing if you dont mind more holes in the boat. Other than that it seems to be just a European model of an Adler Barber unit.
The most important thing no matter what system you choose is insulation. You will want to add or re-insulate you box as the factory job was not good enough. You should read what Nigel Calder has to say on the subject in his book "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual" Mc Graw Hill.

The best price I found on Cool Blue was at Jack Rabbit Marine.

Good luck

Phil