• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E39 Headsail

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Seth,</SPAN>
Thank you for some interesting advice. I have only used the barber with the spinnaker, we never used it like you suggested, but it makes sense. I really hope I will be able to test this.</SPAN>

That was a very good analogy for anyone having trouble visualizing this setup. This is essentially the same thing as "tweakers" or "twings" used to pull down on a spinnaker sheet-only that instead of running a spinnaker sheet though a block which can be pulled down (effectively moving the lead forward), you are running the genoa sheet through the same type of setup...

Keep us posted!

S

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
watched that sail with interest and was rooting for you. There can not be very many 41,s out there to bid against you though!

sveinutne

Member III
Yes, maybe that is the reason I got so much sail for so little money. At the moment I am playing with the idea of putting a new wire from the mast to a point just above the anchor. If I want to use the sail as an asymmetric spinnaker it might be OK. Then I will get the sail in front of the pulpit, and also I do not think this sail is built for a roller furler. If I only use it in light wind it might be OK. Then I just bolt a steel bar on to the bow roller.
http://www.svb24.com/index.php?sid=...b4e4ac84559&cl=details&cnid=12702&anid=116949
and let it extend a foot or less so the wire will go clear of the pulpit. In strong wind this is not good for the bow roller and the bolts holding it, but I have welded steel plates underneath, so the bow roller is strongly attached to the boat. Also I was planning to use 5mm x 50 mm steel, so if I see it will bend I am using it in too strong wind.
Maybe this is not such a good idea, and the angle between the luff and deck will change a bit, so maybe the sail will get too close to the deck in the back? But if it is used as an asymmetric spinnaker it should be out away from the deck so then maybe it will be OK?
I see that for $300 there is more to choose from:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Yacht...170675&po=LWI&ps=63&clkid=7455279670738025378

Last edited:

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
If I were to run a wire as you describe, I would anchor it from below and let the bow take the strain. That is how bowsprits have been done for ever and it seems to work. What you describe sounds like a very short bowsprit, so that is what I would copy. Edd

sveinutne

Member III
I am on Easter vacation high up in the mountains in a cottage with bad internet connection, so I will wait till I get home, But then I will upload a picture of the bow and show what I was thinking. But maybe it is OK to fasten the wire to the bow just above the waterline.

sveinutne

Member III
I was planing to bid on a furling genoa 7.5 oz 150%, but I did not see how I could send a question to the seller before I place a bid. US mail got a 60 lbs. limit, and it cost about $164, but if the waight is more than 60 lbs. the price more than doubles. So I need to be sure it can be shipped as Priority Mail International before I place a bid. Any suggestions on how to send a question to seller before placing bid? This is on ebay.