• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Universal 5411 engine lift in 1984 28+

jmcelwee

Member I
Hi again all,

Another winter project, this time replacing the oil pan and dip-stick tube on my universal 5411. My question is, while I've got it hoisted, is there anything else I should look at doing to the engine while I've got access to it? The mechanic says it looks like it's in pretty good condition (other than the incessant oil leak), but since it's costing me a boatload (heehee) of money to have the engine raised, I want to make sure to do any other maintenance/repairs while we've got access to it.

Thanks for any suggestions!
-Josh

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Definitely want to replace the old mounts, at this age. While it's out of the way (somewhat) you can then verify that the lag bolts are well-set in the bed logs.

LB

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
If you don't have a hose attached to the bottom of the oil pan to drain/pump old oil for an oil change, this would be the time to add it. It makes oil changes much easier.
Frank

hodo

Member III
Engine up.

Frank, check out the rear main seal on the crankshaft. ItMay also be contributing to the oil leak. Also a good time to make sure the starter bolts, are not seized. You can remove the starter and see if there is oil on the flywheel ar in the bell housing,.
Harold

chasandjudy

chas and judy
Oil leak ?

Hi again all,

Another winter project, this time replacing the oil pan and dip-stick tube on my universal 5411. My question is, while I've got it hoisted, is there anything else I should look at doing to the engine while I've got access to it? The mechanic says it looks like it's in pretty good condition (other than the incessant oil leak), but since it's costing me a boatload (heehee) of money to have the engine raised, I want to make sure to do any other maintenance/repairs while we've got access to it.

Thanks for any suggestions!
-Josh

Check the front of the engine where the belt for the alternater nconnect to the engine, there may be a hair line crack in the cover plate, (Happened to me) MD 16 basic same engie had a piece of angle iron welded inside to hold it together new cover costs over $300 plus install. it has not been leaking since.
lesson = do not over tighten belt at least 1/4" play 6 years now

Charlie E30+ # 720 Eden

Last edited: