• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fuel Tank Replacement on a E-27.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
For the past seven weekends I have been working on removing the 38 year old galvanized steel sheet metal 15 gallon diesel fuel tank and replacing it with a new Moeller 12 gallon plastic tank. All I have left to do is install the fuel gauge, which will be nice because I never had one before.

The process was to first pump out the 11 gallons on old fuel in the tank. I used a Jabsco pump that attaches to a electric drill. The fuel came out fairly fast with this system.
Then I had to use a "saws all" to cut the fiberglass that was securing the tank to the two glassed in plywood supports holding the tank in place.
Yes, I was able to get the tank out through the Lazarette in one piece.

Now for the hard part. Fitting the new tank. I hired my friend and Diesel Mechanic from S&W Diesel to coach me through this process. First he had me build a plywood tray for the tank to sit on. All part's got two coats of West System Epoxy and two coat's of Interlux Bilge Coat. We then attached new 3/4" plywood wedges to the existing glassed in plywood wedge supports. We then had the challenge of supporting the tank from the top. We we're able to bolt plywood brackets to the sides of the inner deck on the port side. The starboard side proved to be a bit more challenging, because we had to attach a support from underneath the deck of the side of the quarter berth.

Now for the plumbing. Unfortunately the deck fill did on the new tank did not line up with the old deck fill. Both myself and my Mechanic friend, really did not want to cut another hole in the deck. So we used 1 1/4" copper elbows from the local hardware store and they fit the 1 1/2" marine fuel hose perfectly. I know this will be a slower pour to fill the tank, but the tank only holds 12 gallons, so I am not too worried about it. My little 8 hp Yanmar only guzzles about a quart and a half an hour anyway.

We also replaced pretty much all of the old plumbing. Deck fill, vent, fuel line, return line hoses. The cost of the tank from Worst Marine was $179. with tax. I have not totaled everything up yet, like the new deck fill, fuel gauge, wiring, epoxy, paint, brushes, thinner, copper elbows, nuts, bolts, washers and on and on. This was not at all a fun job, but I will now be able to cruise with some confidence that I will not have a tank that clogs at the pick up line for a while.

Some of you may remember this discussion under Mark A's posting " Fuel Polishing ASAP" earlier in the year, where I address the tank removal process: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?10330-Fuel-Polishing-ASAP/page6

Enough explanation. Check out the photos. I hope this may help anyone else with a E-27 in need of a permanent below deck tank replacement.

Attachments

• PA200684.jpg
    PA200684.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 92
  • PA200689.jpg
    PA200689.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 101
  • PA300695.jpg
    PA300695.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 102
  • PB070712.jpg
    PB070712.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 94
  • PB070714.jpg
    PB070714.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 98

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Starboard side of tank support.

Oh, yeah. This 1st photo was taken looking under and through the battery compartment back to the tank, so you can see the type of above support we created for the tank on the starboard side.

2nd shot shows more detail of the new tank installed.

I also took the time to paint most of the areas around the tank, in the lazarette and battery compartment with bilge coat. Something that I had been meaning to do for a long time. It was pretty grody down in those areas. Things smell a lot better on board now. :egrin:

Attachments

• Tank1.jpg
    Tank1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Tank2.jpg
    Tank2.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 77

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Beautiful Install

Jeff:

Beautiful job......I am sure there was blood, sweat, and tears getting this done and coming out as beautifully as it has....

My Seidelmann 299 came with a bladder for a holding tank, and I had to replace it with a solid Poly Tank under the "V" berth....a miserable job that came out looking great.......

Kudos

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Jeff:

Beautiful job......I am sure there was blood, sweat, and tears getting this done and coming out as beautifully as it has....

My Seidelmann 299 came with a bladder for a holding tank, and I had to replace it with a solid Poly Tank under the "V" berth....a miserable job that came out looking great.......

Kudos

Thank you Mort, I will share your compliments with my Mechanic Friend. When we were done, he said he does not want to do any more freelance work on boats. That's part of why I withheld his name. I couldn't have done it with out him. Aside from the "blood, sweat, and tears", there was some arguing :argue: on how it should be done until my mechanic told me there was going to be only one Foreman on this job. So I shut up, and stuck to following his lead. He has many years of experience, and he was able to see things that I would have never thought of. Nine years ago, he installed the head, holding tank, all plumbing for that as replaced all the thru hull fittings on my boat. Part of why it took so long was I had to work around his schedule. He works about 55 hrs a week for one of the best Diesel shops in the LA Harbor area. I would love to refer him, but I think he's done for a while.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Pro vs Amatuer

Jeff:

Many times I would have been happy to pay to have the dirty work done......But I can not tell you how many times I have asked some of these jerks (stronger terms could be applied) for an estimate, and have asked what I thought were intelligent questions that they could not, or would not answer so I just figured that if these idiots could get paid for their stupidity I could do the job as well......that is not to say that some of the jobs done on the boat by a dear friend of mine could have been accomplished without him......and he took money from me grudgingly.....

Again....this is one great install.....

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Got the fuel gauge installed today.

Got the fuel gauge installed today. Tomorrows the big pour. Putting the first couple gallons in and see if it all works. Wish me luck. :scared: :egrin:

Glyn Judson

Your new tank.

Jeff, You did a very nice and clean job, congratulations and thanks for the progress photos, it's always worthwhile to see someone else's work. Given that yours appears to be a rectangular tank with flat bottom, it might not be as important to do as it was for me with our odd shaped, almost V-shaped one, but after cleaning my tank, installing a new float and gauge, I calibrated our 39 gallon tank in three gallon increments. I poured the first in at our slip and the rest at the fuel dock. I made a Xerox copy of the gauge face and indicated the amount of fuel on that as I added it. I keep that in a book on board and fromn glancing at it, can accurately know how much fuel to ask for whenever filling up. Cheers, Glyn

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Glyn, I bet if you took your gauge and the photos to a speedometer repair shop they could place a new face on it with those markings exactly placed on it. That was a great idea, it would be really cool to finish it off! :egrin:Edd

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Jeff, You did a very nice and clean job, congratulations and thanks for the progress photos, it's always worthwhile to see someone else's work. Given that yours appears to be a rectangular tank with flat bottom, it might not be as important to do as it was for me with our odd shaped, almost V-shaped one, but after cleaning my tank, installing a new float and gauge, I calibrated our 39 gallon tank in three gallon increments. I poured the first in at our slip and the rest at the fuel dock. I made a Xerox copy of the gauge face and indicated the amount of fuel on that as I added it. I keep that in a book on board and fromn glancing at it, can accurately know how much fuel to ask for whenever filling up. Cheers, Glyn

Thanks Glyn, and thanks for the tip on the fuel gauge face. Well I poured about 2.5 gallons into my new 12 gallon tank, and I saw nothing register on the gauge. I freaked out a little bit and double checked all my connections, everything looked fine. Then I added another 2.5 gallons, and the gauge came up. It read just under a 1/4 full. I speculate that the tank I installed may not be exactly level fore and aft. I am not too worried about it. Don't plan on letting it get below 1/8 full. It sure is better than my old gauge, a yard stick. But damn that yard stick was accurate. I had a 15 gallon tank and I figured every 1.5 inches was a gallon.

The "Big Pour" as I called it went just fine. No leaks. Used my trusty drill pump to get the fuel up to the filter, bleed the lines, fired her up and my Little Yanmar Dude is very happy. :clap: