• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Coffee Coffee Coffee

woolamaloo

Member III
Aeropress is a great boat coffee maker

I agree with RedHerring. I don't qualify as a coffee snob because I'll happily drink the stuff at the local diner. But, at times, I've gone to great lengths for a pleasing cup. At home, I sometimes even buy beans green and roast them myself. For the boat, I buy nice roasted whole beans and hand grind them with this grinder.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001804CLY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Then, boiling water and my aeropress. It cleans up easily and makes a great cup. IMO - perfect for the boat.

-Jim

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You are all completely wrong, and have been wrong since September of 2011.

The best way to make coffee on board is a small drip funnel with paper filter into a one-quart Stanley thermos.

You do it in the sink, and in a seaway hold on to the parts with all three hands.

I takes a moment, but what else do you have to do? There are no newspapers.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
You are all completely wrong, and have been wrong since September of 2011.

The best way to make coffee on board is a small drip funnel with paper filter into a one-quart Stanley thermos.

You do it in the sink, and in a seaway hold on to the parts with all three hands.

I takes a moment, but what else do you have to do? There are no newspapers.

Christian is quite correct as far as the drip funnel/paper filters go. You can brew into the thermos or, as I usually do, straight into the cup. The thermos is terrific for when you are underway, when making the coffee might be a challenge. You can just brew it ahead of time when the conditions may be more agreeable, and then you are set for when they are not.

Since space is at a premium on my E26 I use one of these: http://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-...296&sr=8-2&keywords=collapsible+coffee+filter

And for heating the water I use this: http://gearhungry.com/2012/09/cuissential-slickboil.html#!Ywx3o

Both items take very little space when collapsed and work well.

Last edited:

lbertran

Member III
Aeropress +1

We REALLY love our aeropress. With all due respect to fellow Ericsonian coffee lovers, we've tried just about everything on our boat and Aeropress wins hands down. Great coffee, easy to use, minimal filters and mess.

One more thumb up for stainless steel insulated french press.

Incidentally.... This is so screwed up nomenclature... in Italy a "Cafe Americano" is an espresso (black) with some more hot water (i.e. less strong).

But in France, "Filtre Americain" means what we in the US call French Press... Isn't it ironic... And down under, the name for French Press is "Plunger".

But I agree that if you make a small enough amount and have it right away there's no reason to worry. and you can do with a glass non insulated one. Other than the SS ones not only insulate, but they don't rust, and they don't break when they fall down in a seaway.

This is the model we use:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...rushed-stainless-steel-french-presses/3243928

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
We REALLY love our aeropress. With all due respect to fellow Ericsonian coffee lovers, we've tried just about everything on our boat and Aeropress wins hands down. Great coffee, easy to use, minimal filters and mess.

Laura,

I won't dispute that an Aeropress is terrific. I'm not exactly a coffee gourmet, but the Aeropress makes superb coffee! I don't own one myself but I bought one for my son and he loves it. However, it looks to me like the Aeropress involves a bit more work and fiddling. For use on the boat the cone paper filters are super quick and easy to use: just dump the coffee into the filter, pour the hot water through it, and brew straight into the cup. Then when done, toss the spent filter and grounds straight into the trash. Done. Plus, I also have a very large cone filter and can brew a large quantity of coffee straight into a pump vacuum thermos. If I'm not mistaken the Aeropress makes only small quantities at a time.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Percolator

We drink coffee every morning and use a stainless steel percolator on board. No filters needed, just good ground coffee, water and heat from the stove.

Now at home it's a different story where we use a restaurant style Bunn and a Kuerig.

lbertran

Member III
Aeropress

Hi Alan-
The process you describe for easy brewing is identical to the Aeropress process, only the filters are smaller and cheaper than cone filters, thus less trash. We brew a concentrated coffee into one mug, split it with another mug and fill both mugs with hot water for two mugs of good strong Americano. But however you make your coffee, the best part is enjoying it on our boats!

clp

Member III
Wow, a three year running thread. Evidently drinking coffee has not gone out of style:).

as I sit here in a motel room in Beaufort drinking some kind of blackish looking substance that came out of what they call a coffee pot, it makes me badly want to get to the boat to my trusty ol' percolator. I keep a French press for guests, but myself I like the old fashioned way. Now I say "old fashioned", because that's the way I drank it a hundred and ten years ago growing up. I had some difficulty finding one as well, as they are not exactly mainstream anymore. A company in Wilmington, N.C. Keeps them, they're called Tomlisons, and I think they have a website. I walked in however and they keep a Farberware pot in stock at about 22 bucks. Niiiice..

The steam and the smoke, hot lava consistency goo dripping down the spout. Welding gloves to pour it. Outlawed in fourteen states now, my coffee would KILL your average cowboy. I know it sure kills everything I pour it on, including kudzu. I love this stuff, as a good cup of coffee should HURT!!