• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32-2 cockpit Sole

JORGE

Member III
I'm concerned about the cockpit sole, seems a little soft on the forward end. Does anyone know off-hand, if it's solid glass or sandwich balsa?

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
It's a sandwich. It may be plywood though , not balsa. If you look closely at the under side, near the edge you can see who thick it is. You can inject epoxy in holes you drill from top or bottom. This will stiffin it up. West system has instructions on this.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
sogginess

Phil is correct, and hopefully the affected area is not too large. If it is widespread, the cockpit sole will have to be rebuilt, and I think West also has instructions for this. If it comes to that, I can offer some assistance whenthe time comes.
Seth

Jack Zink

Spongy 23 Cockpit Sole

Seith.....In restoring my 23 I discovered the cockpit sole is a little spongy. During a recent volley of rain and thunderstorms here in Mississippi I have discovered an area 3/4 the way towards the stern and about 3 inches from the sidewall of the cockpit on the starboard side where from below the sole has split open and water was weeping/dripping from the split. The area where the split is located and open is about 2 inches square. However topside on the sole this particular area seemed solid. I'm concerned that the sponginess that is prevalent in the sole is widespread thus requiring extensive repair. In examining the rest of the sole from below there is no indication of other damage. Your thoughts? How would you suggest I proceed. I am thinking based on Phil's reply a seris of spot treatment/repairs by injection is a possible solution. Also should the drilling for spot repair be from above or below. Finally what do you suggest for an overlay of the sole to seal any hairline fractures in the gel coat. Thanks for your help.
Jack:confused: