• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34T Bow Roller and Hot Water Heater Install

sv_naidia

Member II
Hello all,

I just finished the install of the new Lewmar bow roller which will accommodate the 22 lb. Lewmar Delta anchor on my E34T. Thanks to everyone that contributed a couple months back on bow roller ideas. As the stem is very tight, options were limited but did a ton of research and finally came up with a good solution. Attached, are a couple pics of the roller in place. The only thing left to do is mount the bicolor running light on the pulpit and do some patch and finish work on the old starboard running light location. What surprised me most was the amount of room in the anchor locker to reach bolts and attach a proper backing plate. Once she is in the water next week, I'll figure out the proper amount of chain vs. rode to get her properly balanced. I'll post more pics once the shrink wrap is gone as the varnishing is still in progress. For those Vikings in the NE, you already know the wet spring which dampened boat prep plans.

One of the other projects I also just tackled was installing a hot water heater. Much thought went into locations and together with the slim dimensions of the unit I chose and some unused space down low in the galley under the stove, it seemed like a logical place. The unit is an Isotherm AC/engine water heat exchanger combo unit which should perform well.

Thanks again to everyone who posted ideas in response to my questions. This site and its members are a wealth of information.

--Ron Mahan
s/v "Lauren B"
E34T, hull id 119
Jamestown, RI

Attachments

• Roller from the deck.jpg
    Roller from the deck.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 157
  • Roller from the ground.jpg
    Roller from the ground.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 94
  • H2O heater mounted.jpg
    H2O heater mounted.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Are you sure 22 lbs is enough? That's what I have, and it hasn't held well in the few times I used it (no bow roller yet, so I avoid anchoring). I've been thinking about a 35 lb Manson.

Did you find sufficient room to mount the backing plate, or was it a pain? If it was easy for you, I'd love to see a pic of your opening.

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
What are the dimensions of that roller? Model number? I'd love to see a pic with the anchor in place.

Our stems are very different. Weird.

sv_naidia

Member II
Bow Roller and Anchor Info

Are you sure 22 lbs is enough? That's what I have, and it hasn't held well in the few times I used it (no bow roller yet, so I avoid anchoring). I've been thinking about a 35 lb Manson.

Did you find sufficient room to mount the backing plate, or was it a pain? If it was easy for you, I'd love to see a pic of your opening.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply....The main reason I chose the Delta from Lewmar 22lb as the E34T fell right in the middle of the recommended weight range. The other option I considered would be the 35lb Bruce. I've talked to a few people and they gave the Lewmar Delta good reviews. I'll let you know how I make out.

Regarding the opening, it is quite accessible and I will send some pics.....

Here is the info on the roller and anchor from West Marine:
West Marine Part # 318057 and
the Lewmar Delta Long anchor roller = West Marine Part # 6867634

Thanks again for your input...

--Ron

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I basically did the same thing with my bow roller at an angle like that, with a teak riser to bring it up to the tow rail. Very effective and a lot less expensive than having one welded to the bow chain plate tang.

sv_naidia

Member II
I basically did the same thing with my bow roller at an angle like that, with a teak riser to bring it up to the tow rail. Very effective and a lot less expensive than having one welded to the bow chain plate tang.

Jeff,

Thanks for your feedback. Did you also choose a lewmar roller? Something about welding new stuff on the boat..... not a big fan of that either.

--Ron

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
No not Lewmar, I got mine new at Minnie's yacht surplus in Costa Mesa, CA.

http://www.minneysyachtsurplus.com

It was brand new for $60. I have no idea what brand it is. Probably some import from China. It seems to be holding up quite well. I have not tried putting a Bruce or delta on it. I actually have a different danforth than is shown in these pics now. I got rid of that wacky "quick release" type here in the pics.

Attachments

• Roller1.jpg
    Roller1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Roller2.jpg
    Roller2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 77

MMLOGAN

Member III
Water heater

Ron,

Would you mind giving some details about your new water heater? Tank size, manufacturer?

Kind regards,

Matt

Wind Chaser E35-3

sv_naidia

Member II
Ron,

Would you mind giving some details about your new water heater? Tank size, manufacturer?

Kind regards,

Matt

Wind Chaser E35-3

Hi Matt,

The unit I chose was the ISOTHERM slim square water heater, the West Marine item number is 7771991. The dimensions are 15-3/4"H x 7-3/16"W x 22-1/4"D and its capacity is 4.2 gallons. The main reason I chose it was for space considerations. As you can see from my pic, it fits nicely on its side under the galley stove compartment and it is stainless...

Hope this helps.

--Ron

sv_naidia

Member II
No not Lewmar, I got mine new at Minnie's yacht surplus in Costa Mesa, CA.

http://www.minneysyachtsurplus.com

It was brand new for $60. I have no idea what brand it is. Probably some import from China. It seems to be holding up quite well. I have not tried putting a Bruce or delta on it. I actually have a different danforth than is shown in these pics now. I got rid of that wacky "quick release" type here in the pics.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info. Minney's sure does have some good stuff at some great prices. Yes, like you, the angle of the roller was the main issue. All of my anchors in the past have been Bruce types. I am eager to test out the delta and see how she does. According to the specs for both, I was able achieve the same results with 10 lbs less anchor by going with the delta. Any feedback on either would be appreciated.

sv_naidia

Member II
Bow Roller with Anchor Pics

The picture of our bow roller in this thread looks like the one pictured above.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=5877

And another related thread:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=8496

Loren

Loren,

Thanks for your links to the rollers. I really like the teak designs... My project is almost complete. Need to feed the bow light wiring inside the stainless and once she is launched next week, figure out the proper chain to rode ratios. As a minimum, I am planning 35' of chain and 365' of rode. Depending on how she sits in the water, I may need to add some additional chain to offset the weight of the stuff I added aft such as the new hot water heater, norcold system and potable water bladder tank under the quarter berth. Any input for fellow Viking folks on their ratio's??

Attachments

• Anch from below1.jpg
    Anch from below1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Anchor from above.jpg
    Anchor from above.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 93
  • Anchor locked in.jpg
    Anchor locked in.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Anchor pin in place.jpg
    Anchor pin in place.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 91

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Thanks for the pics!

I wish the Boatworks peeps would come and move my forestay, for a few reasons. I'd love to see some pics of the inside of the chain locker to see how they reinforced the stem.

I would be surprised if you noticed any balance issues, and I think you can carry as much chain as a human can manually haul. A 400-foot all-chain rode might change the balance a little, but you'd only use that once! (Maybe after installing a windlass, you'll eventually replace the chain you left on the bottom.)

Nice boat, Ron. Have fun!

sv_naidia

Member II
Thanks for the pics!

I wish the Boatworks peeps would come and move my forestay, for a few reasons. I'd love to see some pics of the inside of the chain locker to see how they reinforced the stem.

I would be surprised if you noticed any balance issues, and I think you can carry as much chain as a human can manually haul. A 400-foot all-chain rode might change the balance a little, but you'd only use that once! (Maybe after installing a windlass, you'll eventually replace the chain you left on the bottom.)

Nice boat, Ron. Have fun!

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the compliments. It seems they really spent a lot of time doing some cool extra things with the boat. I'll get some pics from inside the chain locker for you.

I think you are right about the balancing. I just like to keep the weight on the ends of the boat to a minimum, thats all. They did install a Lewmar windlass as part of the project. I'll attach a pic of it.

I plan to swing by SoCal in mid July and would love to stop by and see your 34T and meet you if you have time. I'll bring the drinks and pupu's if you want to take a sail or even just hang out on the dock....

Do you normally take an inflatable to Catalina or just use the launch service? Seems there may be just enough room on the foredeck to tie a smaller one upside down.

Attachments

• 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 340

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the compliments. It seems they really spent a lot of time doing some cool extra things with the boat. I'll get some pics from inside the chain locker for you.

I think you are right about the balancing. I just like to keep the weight on the ends of the boat to a minimum, thats all. They did install a Lewmar windlass as part of the project. I'll attach a pic of it.

I plan to swing by SoCal in mid July and would love to stop by and see your 34T and meet you if you have time. I'll bring the drinks and pupu's if you want to take a sail or even just hang out on the dock....

Do you normally take an inflatable to Catalina or just use the launch service? Seems there may be just enough room on the foredeck to tie a smaller one upside down.

The bastards gave you a freakin' windlass??? Ok, now I need to see how and where that's rigged. You're KILLING me!

I have a 10'2" inflatable, which I bought because it will fit between the mast and the forestay. However, I have yet to store it there--at least while inflated. I usually strap it on the cabin trunk (deflated in its bag), or tow it behind, surfing down the stern wake so there is no drag whatsoever. It's a Mercury 310 Hypalon.

I just picked up a Tohatsu 9.8 hp 2-stroke (60 lbs), and I'm debating how to transport it. Stern rail? Weight on ends, I know. I might be foolish enough to strap it in the dinghy, laid on it's side, for the fair weather tows to the Channel Islands. On the other hand, I've spend enough time in the Bering Sea to know all the reasons why I will eventually regret that. So far, I love that motor--it flies with two in the boat!

Definitely call when you're in town. Speaking of pupus, remind me to replace the joker valve--yet another project I keep overlooking. Drinks for sure!

-mark