• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cargo shifting ... yacht design anachronisms

Sven

Seglare
Gone: Cargo shifting ... yacht design anachronisms

Wow that was fast ... spoken for. A local boating friend and designer.

In the spirit of Glyn, sans chick magnet puppies ...

We're having to shed volume and weight too as we get ready to set off.

I have a small collection of 'I could never get rid of that treasure' items from when I was devoted to yacht design, not just yacht appreciation.

As with prior cargo shifting, you pay the shipping, period. There is no other cost. And as with Glyn's cargo shifting, it has to be to a worthwhile home that appreciates the cargo, not just someone who might find a way of selling it later on eBay.

Quite frankly, today there is probably no monetary value in any of it to anyone but possibly a collector.

It goes as a set, weighing in at 24 lbs per the bathroom scale.

- 4 lead spline ducks (for holding a hull shape spline in place on a drawing as you plot the hull lines).

- A large diameter, segmented K&E compass for drawing quite large circles.

- A set of jewel tipped K&E ink pens that I used to draw not only boats but also just about all the illustrations in Tim Mutch's seminal work "The Geology of Mars" before the Viking landings in '76. Unused for 30 years but probably still salvageable.

- Skeenes Elements of Yacht Design.

- Sailing Theory and Practice.

- Multihull Sailboats.

- A perfect K&E Planimeter ... a work of precision art. Accurate to some fraction of a percent of measured surface area.

I'm giving myself a week (until we get back on May 31st) to decide where to send it. When I bought the planimeter in the mid-70s it was a fortune, and so were the pens, but they have both been overtaken by technology.

All that is needed is a good home and the cost of shipping.

I will also offer it elsewhere as the value is in the eyes of the beholder only.

-Sven

Attachments

• The trove.jpg
    The trove.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Nice

Sven,

I admire your willingness to "shift cargo" What a concept. As a civil engineer by profession, I am just old enough to have used "manual" drafting/calculating tools such as a Leroy set with pens and planimeter, similar to yours. Not quite old enough for the slide rule:). In fact a few years ago I started collecting such items and if I didn't already have 3 planimeters I would take you up on your offer.

Good luck.