View RSS Feed

Kenneth K

  1. Another Engine Panel Upgrade Pt 3

    Continued from Part 2.

    Thought I'd post the final chapter of my engine panel upgrade. I finished the wiring back in May and have been happy with the results—mainly, no more surprises during engine start.

    I had to design a new spray cover because I “flipped” the original panel upside down (to put the gauges at the bottom where they are easier to see). As Loren pointed out in a comment, you can't use the original T-shaped cover upside down, or it will trap water. ...

    Updated 11-27-2019 at 01:38 PM by Kenneth K

    Categories
    Maintenance and Mechanical
  2. Another Engine Panel Upgrade - Pt. 2

    (Continued from Part 1):

    The original black engine panel frame was in pretty good shape. The panel-back has a slight rim around the mounting flange which leaves a shallow void behind the screw holes. I think this is why it often cracks beneath the screws. I filled this void with epoxy around all the screw holes. The black plastic itself is pretty flimsy and the panel was deformed somewhat form having the old gauges clamped against it, but it cleaned up nicely with black spray paint. ...

    Updated 06-05-2019 at 09:33 PM by Kenneth K

    Categories
    Maintenance and Mechanical
  3. Another Engine Panel Upgrade - Pt. 1

    Here’s my posting of my recent Universal engine panel upgrade. The real nuts-and-bolts of engine panel and wiring upgrades has already been posted, thankfully, by C. Williams and T. Metzger (see CW-1, TM-1).

    My write-up assumes you’ve already done Modifications A, B, and C posted in the second link. Still, having done those upgrades, a single, undetermined short disabled my entire panel (by repeatedly tripping the 30A supply fuse) during my first start-up this season. The rat’s-nest ...

    Updated 06-01-2019 at 12:14 PM by Kenneth K

    Categories
    Maintenance and Mechanical
  4. Last Year's Winter Projects

    And so it goes with owning a boat. As in these are “winter projects” from last winter; things I’m just now finishing up months later than planned. The winter list was something like this:
    - Alter sail cover to fit around Dutchman and add bird-proof netting underneath,
    - Revamp compass and teak base,
    - Re-finish and repair damaged bilge cover-plates and mast trim rings.

    I contracted the sail cover work out over the winter, so that was completed on time and ready ...

    Updated 10-04-2018 at 09:21 AM by Kenneth K

    Categories
    Maintenance and Mechanical
  5. Forespar MF850 Marelon Ball Valves

    I've replaced five Marelon ball valves on my '85 E32-3 since I bought the boat last year. It wasn't my explicit goal to change out so many valves, I only replaced the ones that stopped working. My E32 has 10 valves; three in the head, four in the galley, and three in the stern. All are either 3/4" (raw-water intakes for engine, galley, and head), or 1 1/4" (head pump-outs (2), galley sink drain, cockpit drains (3), and engine exhaust).

    While Marelon valves take a lot of hits ...

    Updated 12-17-2017 at 11:53 AM by Kenneth K

    Categories
    Maintenance and Mechanical
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast