View RSS Feed

trickdhat

  1. A few more core pics

    sealing the deck penetrations meant removing some old hardware...unfortunately it was bedded in 5200. Northing worked until I found this stuff:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170512_110351.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	22487

    The first layup. Note the shifted peel ply and breather:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170609_123840.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	22489

    Catch Pot with vacuum gauge. The bag kept this vacuum over night with the pump off:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170609_123734.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	22488

    All the vacuum bag installed core up:

    ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. New Core...the wrong way I'm told

    The first step with replacing the core was identifying justhow much core was rotten. As you canexpect, the affected area was greater than I initially expected.
    The void along the edge and between the topskin and balsa created by not spreading the bonding resin allowed any wateringress to propagate through the laminate from the mast to the rear bulkhead ofthe cabin top.This resulted in asection apx. 18” by 8’ along the edge of the cabin top needing to be replaced.For the most part, removing
    ...
  3. Time to come clean...Identifing rotten core

    The past few months I've noticed I've become of consumer of this page instead of a contributor. Although I check the page often and am actively working on Luffalee, I haven't posted much lately. One of the best things about this community is its made up of real people with a shared interest, not professional shipwrights writing articles on the absolute best way to compete a task. The result is a resource that's inclusive, a community that celebrates success and helps us laugh off failure. I ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. New Lifelines

    We’re trying to make Luffalee safe, easy and fun to sail,and comfortable in that order, so an obvious choice was to replace the lifelines. The ones that came on the boatwere probably the original ones and they showed it. They were sagging and didn’t have anything leftin the turnbuckles to pick up the slack. The gate on the starboard side wouldn’t open and there were multiple locationswhere rust was visible under the vinyl coating. With the discovery of CS Johnson splice line terminals and the ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1840.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	17695   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1841.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	17694   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1838.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	17691   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1630.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	17692  
  5. Back Stay Rebuild

    I’m quickly learning nothing on a boat is as simple as it seems and nothing goes exactly as planned. The most recent lesson came in the form of tensioning the rig after the compression post was rebuilt. All was going well until I attempted to tighten the backstay…

    I like taking the hands-on approach when learning, but maybe not so much when it comes to galling. The Navtec turnbuckle threads ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1346.jpg 
Views:	1224 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	17681   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1402.jpg 
Views:	464 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	17682   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1766.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	17683  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast