• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

rigger in Annapolis area

steven

Sustaining Member
I want a professional top to bottom standing rigging inspection (including aloft, lifelines and steering) before I launch in mid April. Does anyone have suggestions in the Annapolis area? I've tried the heavily advertised names but failure to return calls and no-shows for appointments have made me nervous.

Also, I need a sail repair - over the winter my 110 stored in my garage fell into the front of my recently running car and the headlamp melted a hole through the bag and into the rolled up sail - so fist size holes near the leech in two places. Guess I'm lucky it didn't burn down the house. Any recommendations?

Annapolis E-27

Member III
While it did take awhile for him to get to my job I was very pleased with Marc at Atlantic Spars & Rigging on Severn Avenue in Eastport. He custom built my new gooseneck to match my Kenyon boom to my Isomat mast and did a complete survey for me. Try him at 410-268-1570.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
I'll second a vote for Marc and his crew at Atlantic. They did all new standing rigging for us last year at a very reasonable cost.
Chris

lbertran

Member III
Sail Repair

Jason at Quantum Sails in Annapolis is very good. He's maintained my sails for a while and he's now doing a Strong Track conversion for my Main. Their prices are good, including a 15% discount if you're a Boat US member, and they're fast.

Last edited:

steven

Sustaining Member
Laura, Thanks. Left my sail with Mike at Quantum this morning.

Re Strong System. I converted to it last year. Works really well. Can raise main in under 30 seconds and (more important to me) drops like a stone inside the lazy jacks when I let the halyard go. Only problem -- when down, stacks a bit too high to reach to get the sail cover on, so I have to add a step near near the base of the mast this season. I have an E35-2. Are you expecting similar issue? Any better ideas before I drill the mast?

--Steve

lbertran

Member III
Strong Track

Hi, Steve-
On my 35-3, there's a stainless rail guard on deck just forward of the mast. It's about 12-15 inches high and protects the dorades. Even without the strong track, I have to stand on that guard to put on the sail cover. I'm hoping that I'll still get by with standing on the guard when I have the taller stack created by the Strong Track.
I had a Strong Track on my previous boat and loved it so I'm excited to finally be getting one for my Ericson. I like the fact that the Strong Track gives you the ability to reef without having to head up into the wind.

steven

Sustaining Member
feedback

Laura,

Thanks for referring Quantum Sails. They did a really nice job, and price was exactly what they quoted. That is probably my first experience in recent years that the actual has not been 30 - 100% higher than estimate.

By the way, I have since discovered that car headlamps reach a temperature of 500 degrees, which will of course instantly melt anything synthetic and other things too. Glad it was my sail that fell on it and not, say, my cat.

--Steve

lbertran

Member III
Glad It Worked Out

Steve-
I've had great luck with Quantum and when the time comes for new sails, I'll be going to them. But they're doing such a good job maintaining my sails that I hope that'll be a while! I see your boat name is Indigo, where do you keep her. We're in Annapolis at the Hillsmere Shores community marina and, right now, at Casa Rio Marina on the hard. See you out on the Bay!