• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

last sail of 2007

Emerald

Wonder if any other Vikings made it out yesterday for a last sail of 2007 on the Chesapeake? Days like this one make me think I should never haul before Jan 1. Almost 50, sunny, and a nice 8-10 knot breeze propelling us to hull speed. We saw only one other sail boat and a DNR patrol. Now the down side is that in typical Chesapeake nutty weather tradition, I need to go drain my intake strainer and a couple other re-winterization items, as it's supposed to be in the low 20's in another night. Go figure, 50 one day, and frozen the next. Drives me nuts (like snow), but does let me get away with a short haul out - will get yanked probably next week, and back in by March.

Happy New Year to all and wishes for another great boating year!

:egrin:

Last edited:

sleather

Sustaining Member
But did you stay warm?

Wonder if any other Vikings made it out yesterday for a last sail of 2007 on the Chesapeake?

Happy New Year to all and wishes for another great boating year!

:egrin:

Only in my dreams!:esad: HAPPY NEW YEAR to you too!

So did you pick up any of that cold weather "survival" gear(clothes)? Were you as "snug-as-a-bug" out there?

Last edited:

Emerald

Well, now that you ask, Santa was quite kind and made sure I had some of those nice snuggy things to wear for the sail. Much thanks to all the input from the little elves

:cheers:

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Sheesh. We got a foot of snow on Sunday, and another foot last night. I think that puts up near 50 inches for the year so far. 40 inches for December alone!

So no. I was not sailing yesterday. But I AM jealous! :)

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Hangover Bowl was a blast yesterday. Started in 8-10 on the Severn but once the front moved through it cranked to 25. Racing a J-22 for the winter. Have my E-38 on the hard but have a Westsail 32 with a coal stove for winter sailing. Hopefully we don't get too much ice this year.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I got out on Sunday 12/30 for one last sail of the year. It was absolutely gorgeous. Wore just a tee shirt for the first half of the sail. This was the maiden voyage with the newly tabernacled mast step, a friend happened to catch us just before going under the bridge in the Santa Cruz Harbor.

Happy New Year.

Attachments

• mast downsm.JPG
    mast downsm.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 61

Emerald

Sheesh. We got a foot of snow on Sunday, and another foot last night. I think that puts up near 50 inches for the year so far. 40 inches for December alone!

So no. I was not sailing yesterday. But I AM jealous! :)

Hi Nate,

know all about your snow. Parent's are just down the road from you in Castine. Mom knows I love snow and has been having great fun making me wish I was where you are for the snow. My only reply I could come up with when we talked yesterday was, "went sailing while you watched the plow" :cool:

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I'm sure you're really jealous David. ;)

If anyone kept track of snowfall totals around here I'm sure we'd have a record. We're between 4 and 5 feet already by my measurements.