• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Your local sailing club dues

How much are your club dues

• Less than $400

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • $400-$999

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • $1000-$2000

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • $2000+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Our local sailing club has been going through some growing pains over the past few years.

How much are dues at your local clubs? Initiation fees? How many members? What state is it located? Do you have a clubhouse?

This would help greatly...
Thanks,
Chris

Feel free to pm me if you are uncomfortable discussing money stuff in a public venue.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
The Club I belonged to until last year, on a pretty lake in Alberta, Canada, charged a one time fee of about $1,000 to join, and then an annual membership fee of $980. This was for a private club with about 45 members, mainly cruising sailboats, assigned slips for each member/boat, a new clubhouse, on-site caretaker, and various social events throughout the year. But members had to contribute by periodically helping on projects, and launching/taking out the docks in spring/fall and at times serving on the 10 member elected board.

Although this was a pretty reasonable arrangement, I prefer paying about $2,600 annual moorage fee at our current marina on Vancouver Island, BC. It has locked gates, live-aboard manager, a private washroom/shower and year-round use of the boat (especially once I retire next year). There is no need to help with projects/activities, so more time to work on the boat or go sailing. While the club social activities can help bring members together, I find the sailing community pretty conducive to informal gatherings that serve the same purpose, without some of the obligations.

Frank.

Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Rome Sailing Club has a clubhouse, stationary boat lift, work area, onsite trailer parking, three docks with 60 boat capacity, gazebo, bar-b-q pit with pavilion and the best bunch of drinking, I mean sailing buddies a guy could want.
The initiation fee is $200; Dues are $200 with an earned credit for working reducing the dues to $135. Slip fees are $400 per year and trailer sailors are $85 per year to store the boat on the trailer or an empty trailer is $50, annual ice fee is $10.

As a board member or with the work credit that is $595 per year slip, trailer and ice.

The old clubhouse has lots of charm, two full baths, kitchen, dining, Commodore’s office and living room a large deck that is used frequently for club parties and a few hours of my picking and singing.

For a private club and such low cost it is amazing to have as many assets as we do and operate on a sound budget.

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Our club, the False Creek Yacht Club in Vancouver, BC, has initiation fees of $7,500 and annual dues of around $1,600. The annual dues include $550 towards meals/drinks in the Club restaurant and bar. We also pay just over $1,000 liveaboard tax to the City of Vancouver, $1,200 liveaboard fees to the club and moorage fees of approx $5,000 annually (includes 30amp power and water).

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Thanks for the early replies-
Loren suggested that I might want to clarify a little (which Mike, Randy, and Frank have kindly done for me:)) about some of the time period and facilities.

I'm looking for one time initiation fee, annual dues, any slip fees included or extra, and info like the bar/food inclusion (which is a GREAT idea, btw- really an incentive to go to the club).

FWIW- ours dues are $400 with a $120 iniation fee. That includes a clubhouse on the water with a bar with snacks & potluck, dockage and small boat land storage available at an extra cost.

Thanks,
Chris

Sven

Seglare
I'm looking for one time initiation fee, annual dues, any slip fees included or extra, and info like the bar/food inclusion (which is a GREAT idea, btw- really an incentive to go to the club).

So which one goes in the poll ?

-Sven

Our club: Lake Chelan Sailing Association http://www.lakechelansa.com
Club fees $25.00 a year with no initial fee. My guess on club memmbership is less then 100. Club boats available to memembers are C Larks, Lasers, and a San Juan 21 for no fee anytime, without contacting anyone. Which are kept at the City Marina. Sailing gear is kept in a small shed on the premises. Informal racing every weekend. Yearly Regatta was last weekend and attracted about 50 boats. the club does a yearly 10 day camping trip, traveling up and down the 60 mile lake. The club has a overnight sailing trip about once a month. One of the main thrusts of the club is to get young people sailing, and free lessons are offered every June daily for about two weeks - open to anyone. - chris

boatboy

Inactive Member
Berkeley Yacht Club

We belong to the Berkeley Yacht Club in the San Francisco Bay. There was an initiation fee of $500 - which we actually got for $400 during a special weekend event. There are quarterly fees of $145. Great club, wonderful people, not sure why we took so long to join. http://www.berkeleyyc.org/

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sometimes it's just interesting to bump an older thread. The subject is perennially relevant.
I recall another related thread, but cannot find it, offhand. Anyone??

FWIW, our total outlay for a Quarter of all club dues, fees, and moorage is just under $500. i.e. total of $2K per year. Initiation fee is about 1K, in round numbers. Waiting list for a slip ranges from 6 months to a year.
Additionally there is a "work hours" requirement of 16 hours a year minimum, per family membership.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In 2023 the initiation fee for the California Yacht Club is under $10K, dues are about $300 a month, and a 35-foot slip (38' boat permitted) is about $900 a month. About the same for a similar club in MDR, the three smaller clubs much less (but the slips are more or less the same, within 20 percent).
CYC has a heated swimming pool, restaurant/ clubhouse, modern docks and an active junior sailing and waterfront program. The emphasis is on racing, since there is nowhere to cruise, with a few world level competitors in Farr 40s and such, and in the Transpac. To join the club a heartbeat is required, although it is considered a technicality. Not exclusive in any Eastern sense.

On my 30-minute drive down the PCH, I pass three venerable beach clubs in the usual tradition of cocktails, workout rooms, beach chairs and business networking. Their initiation fees range from $100K to $300 K. They have no boat access to the ocean even for a Hobie cat.

Yacht clubs here are a relative bargain, if you like that sort of thing .

Saverio

Member III
The fee of our sailing association CVR of Ravenna amounts to Euro 350 for 12 months without boat limit, the berth (annual berth) for my boat Ericson 38 200 amounts to Euro 2500 for 12 months, total Euro 2850 for 12 months, water and light. included.

windblown

Member III
Around here, almost every yacht club has a club house; other amenities differ significantly. Some are maintained entirely by members (with required volunteer hours to stay active), and those can have annual dues as low as $600, and very low initiation fees, but seniority is based on cumulative hours, and the waiting list to get dock space can be ten years. Most clubs around the lake have reciprocal privileges, and there's a club about every 20-30 nm all around Lake Ontario.
Our club has an outdoor pool (open Memorial Day to Labor Day) and two tennis courts (used very occasionally and more often for pickleball nowadays). There's an active junior sailing program, with "camp" in the summer for ages 5 and up including sailing for half the day and swimming lessons and play for the other half. Junior sailing programs are open to the public.
We've got a fleet of Opti's and 420's (15-20 boats in each) and some Ideal 18's and Sonars, all available for club members to use. No fee for occasional use, but a seasonal fee to reserve a one-design boat for racing.
Our dues are now over $400 per month, including a capital assessment for the installation of new floating docks. Initiation fee, about $4,000. The monthly dues are less for younger (under 50) adults, to encourage younger sailors/families to join. Winter storage and summer mooring are annual, rather than monthly, based on cubic feet for storage (about $800 for our 32',a little more for inside, if you have the seniority to get inside) and boat length for moorage ($80 per foot for the season= $2,400). Water and electrical are included. The bonus is that haul out with power wash and launch is included, and pulling/stepping the mast is only an additional $100). Our yard crew maintains the docks and does a fine job launching and hauling, but one has to bring in another contractor for anything else. Fortunately, we can work on our own boats while they're on the hard.
We have a decent (food is ok, price is reasonable) restaurant open 5-6 lunches and evenings in the summer, but only three to four days in the winter. It used to be a fine restaurant that attracted social members.
We have live music on "the deck" (outside, overlooking the river and jetty where you can watch boats come and go from several different marinas to the Lake) on most Friday evenings during the summer, and a several club dinners/dances in the off season. We have more sailboats than motor boats, but the motor boats tend to be large cruisers
Membership includes quite a variety of people. Some are there for the sailing, some are there for the bar, and some are there for the status. The club is over 150 years old and hosts several regattas each year. In general, it's an open and welcoming place. But don't offer to help any skipper come into dock. . .
Total for us, about $8K annually.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
One of the best things I have done is join the Richmond Yacht Club. They seem to pride themselves on acceptance of people who enjoy sailing, and racing. Also on any other skills that can benefit the club from past and present professional or blue collar lives. It's NOT about net worth. It's about the fun. That's the motto of the club. The sense of community here is amazing. Initiation was 2K. Monthly dues and slip are $368 for a 30' boat.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
$35/year
Chesapeake Corinthian Sailing Club (CCSC) is more of a social club, doing something every couple weeks and helping each other with boat work.

Saverio

Member III
The fee of our sailing association CVR of Ravenna amounts to Euro 350 for 12 months without boat limit, the berth (annual berth) for my boat Ericson 38 200 amounts to Euro 2500 for 12 months, total Euro 2850 for 12 months, water and light. included.

Puget sailor

Member II
Our local club on Puget Sound is geared toward affordability. Initiation fee of a few hundred and annual family dues are similar, an individual is lower, juniors (minors) not affiliated with adult members are maybe 75 bucks a year. Two 4 hour work party credits per year per family, or pay a fee if not completed. That just covers basic “social” membership, the club has a simple unstaffed clubhouse, waterfront deck, picnic tables and a couple gas grills. Slips at the marina have a modest to substantial waitlist depending on length. Long boats = longer wait, roughly 1-10 years. Slip fee is about 6 bucks a foot, and is based on roughly 60% of commercial rates locally. There is a requirement to be active in club sailing events to retain a slip once granted.

The state of WA charges the club a lease fee for its over water docks, typical for all marinas, so that overhead is part of the cost structure, along with property taxes. The other major cost is having sufficient funds to gradually replace older docks, which we self build at a substantial savings to commercial bids. But the permit process is complicated and expensive on its own. It’s imperative that a club build adequate capital reserves to cover such expenses over the long haul, which we have begun to do, but did not always address. The slip fees now reflect that capital reserve need. In the past they were very cheap, and there was no money to rebuild which almost ended the club.

Because of the limited marina space at our club and throughout our area, we are starting to develop a footprint of having club owned boats any member can subscribe to use. The juniors have optis, lasers, and Vanguard v15 dinghies available free, adult members can subscribe to have access to the V15 fleet for $100.00 a year, and we now have two j/70 keelboats which are available for $625.00 per year. We may move toward a small cruiser or two in years to come. The goal is to increase sailing access for all members, not just those with slips, which is perhaps 30% of membership.

We did have a surge in membership during the pandemic which has improved our balance sheet, but that has slowed. The availability of the j/70’s with racing at least once a week, and hopefully soon twice a week as the fleet expands is attracting other sailors to the club too. Those boats are quite expensive to buy, so the $625.00 per year fee makes it appealing to join the club and then get to sail a modern boat for half the cost of annual moorage alone. We did buy used ones, and the fee includes cost recovery to the club reserves, dock space, and long term upkeep.

In general clubs in our area have very widely varying cost structures based on provided infrastructure. Some have staffed facilities and outstations throughout Puget Sound and into Canada and are VERY expensive, others are modest to join, but require purchase of marina slips if you want to keep a boat there, etc. To compare apples to apples, on needs to evaluate the infrastructure and any government imposed costs on the operation which may vary greatly by jurisdiction and salt vs fresh water.