• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35, E35ii & E35iii

pbaileyjr

Can anyone explain in simple terms the difference between these three 35's. I'm most likely going to become the new owner of a E35 by the 1st of October. I'm sure I'll probably be asking a lot more questions then.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You should find some informative brochure d/l's in the Specs and Docs section on this site.
Basically, the very first E-35 was a recycled Alberg design, in the late 60's.
The long production run King-designed E-35-2 went from early 70's to '80 or so. This model has become a veritable classic yacht.
Then a totally new King-designed E-35-3 was produced in the early 80's, until ??.
All seem to be well-regarded for construction and sailing ability, FWIW.
Loren

Bomr

Member I
E35 differences

I just bought a 1973 Ericson 35 that I believe is an E35-2 based on what I have read. I am no expert, but from what I can tell the 3 different designs were built over a period of 26 years. I am attaching a link to a review of the Ericson 35 that tells the years for the different models. The E35-2's were manufactured from 1969-1982. The 3's followed until 1989. Also, reviewing the owner's manuals on this site helped as well, but the basic difference is in the year's they were produced.
Hope this helps.
www.boatus.com/jackhornor/sail/Ericson35.asp

pbaileyjr

E-35 differences

Thanks Bomr. The E-35 we're buying is a 1977. The engine is located under the aft dinette settee, just in front of the companion way. Access to the engine is unbelievable. The stuffing box is just forward of the companion way ladder. This boat has been repowered with a Beta Marine, 3 cyl diesel in 2001 with only 96 hrs. Service records indicate she has been properly maintained since. We're excited.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
If someone has put that kind of money into the boat recently, hopefully they have taken good care of other matters too. If any questions arise during the survey, field them here, as the chances are someone has faced the same problem. Good luck.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Bomr

Member I
Repowered

Sounds like the same layout as mine. Mine was also repowered in '01 with a 28 HP Kubota with about 100 hours on it now. All the electrical had been replaced and the interior has been updated somewhat. Everyone at the dock raves about what a great boat we bought so we are very excited as well. The neighboring slip has a newer Beneteau (probably worth over $100K) and it's funny how all the old salts want to tell me how much better built an Ericson is. I would probably trade with the guy, but it's nice to hear people say nice things about the boat you just purchased.
I sailed it over the holiday weekend, but unfortunately there was barely enough wind to fill the sails.
Congratulations and good luck with your new Ericson.