• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wow, line squalls suck!

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I went out for a sail today with my biz partner. 1/2 day Fridays are great! The wind was 16-18kts out of the NW. Strange direction for Narragansett Bay but good since we don't normally sail North and this was a good opportunity to sail up the Bay and around Prudence Island. Well it piped up to 20-22kts, and then 25kts with gusts over 30kts off Warwick Neck. The 130 Genny was rolled in to the first mark and main to the first reef. Not too bad but really puffy. Got a bit of rain on the North side of Prudence but no big deal.

Rounding the southern tip of Prudence is where it got interesting. The wind had died off to 12-15kts and the reefs shaken out to keep up with a nice looking canoe sterned yacht that passed us in the East Passage. As we both rounded up and headed West back under the Southern tip of Prudence, having a "pointing war" (the E38 was killing him), there was another black cloud on the Western horizon. Really black, and you could see the rain. As the cloud approached, the shore, about 3 miles away disappeared. Not good.

I ran below to use the head and grab a granola bar since I could see that there weren't going to be any breaks in the near future. Just when I made it back the leading edge hit us and 3 other sailboats within a few hundred yards. It was all my biz partner and I could do to get the genoa furled in but somehow we did. The main was still full but since we were close-hauled it just kinda stayed put. The winds peaked at 47kts. Never seen rain fall sideways and then up. Almost zero visibility. Thunder, lightening, the works. The other boats disappeared and right before they did I could see several that hadn't reefed, furled, etc. and they were just about knocked over.

The E38 did great. We actually stayed calm, relatively, once the genoa was in. The boat stayed 15-20degrees off the wind making maybe 2.5kts and the mainsail was not flapping around so it really wasn't too bad in retrospect. Did scare the bejeezus out of us though. It was probably all over in less than 10 minutes but it felt like hours. I kept and eye on the GPS and instruments since there is a lot of land to run into there but it turned out fine.

In retrospect I will surely roll up the genoa earlier. I misjudged the speed of the squall, a mistake I won't make again. I also am glad I had the experience in the Bay, in a relatively known and controlled space and not way out at sea. I realize this may be nothing to many of you however I look at it as a great learning experience. I would rather get my taste of crappy weather in short bursts than all at once when I have no idea what to expect.

Scary as hell but exhilarating at the same time!

RT

Last edited:

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Whee! Sounds like quite a ride!

This is all stuff you learned already, but I'd certainly agree that as soon as you see a sharp dark squall line, you reduce sail substantially. The squalls pass quickly in most cases, so there's no need to use the head and get food.

Usually the only thing I do before reefing is go grab inflatable vests, and at least one tether, in case someone has to go forward after it hits. Then furl the genny, and finally tuck a reef (or two in the main).

Then grab foulies, and watch the show! :D

Tom Greaves

Member I
Lightning

I single-handed our E-28+ yesterday from Newburyport, MA to Portland, Maine. I had a terrific view just east of the Isle of Shoals of a dense thunderhead spitting lightning and growling just a few miles north and east of me. I'm a coward, not only did I have two reefs in the main and a few turns in the 100% jenny but I turned on the motor and got the heck out the way. Aside from intense rain and some 30+ knot gusts which were short-lived, no harm done.

The thunderstorm was between me and where I needed to go. The detour cost me two hours -- this meant a 1:00 am arrival in Portland (yeah, I had a late start.) Is it safe to batten everything down and bull through? The lightning was fun to watch but I'm not sure I'd like to take any chances of a direct hit. Does anyone out there have any direct experience? Anyone taken a direct hit?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Actually I had to use the head prior to seeing the squall line. Seeing it just prompted me to act. Grabbing the granola bars was just a second thought.

Regarding sailing through or around a squall..... Hmm, what got me was moving way to fast for a sailboat moving at single digits to avoid. Sure, if I could see it from way off and had an opportunity to move perpendicular to its course I would have. Reality is I had nowhere to run. Land all around to run into. My vote is to avoid if possible but likely the way is to reef, batten down, and hold on. RT

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I have been in a 12 hour Force 10 gale on the Atlantic and a 20 minute squall with 60 plus mph winds on Long Island Sound and I thought the latter was much more frightening because of the sudden intensity and lightning strikes all around. About all you can do is drop your sails before it hits, start the engine and get as much sea room as you can. It's also a good idea to have diving goggles handy so you can see in the in the horizontal rain.