• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Storage for ShorePower Cords

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
http://www.cordpro.com/cpxl.html

This was our major "find" at the recent Strictly Sail" show in Oakland, CA.
I just coiled my whole 50' 30 amp shore power cord inside, except for the two ends.
Paid $30. for it at the show (including California tax).

Rather useful, really....
Up 'til now we were storing the cord in an old gear bag -- and a floppy and awkward mess it was, too!

I was skeptical, but the guy at the booth had a whole cord inside one for display...
and by golly it works for me, too. :)

Attached is a little pic from their web site.

Loren
:D

Attachments

• xlboat.jpg
    xlboat.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I have two of those too! I use them for work extension cords but for the shore power its a good idea too. There are these ratcheting cable clamps that look like half a pair of handcuffs available at Home Depot. They are also very useful for shore power cords and stowing lines. I use lots of them. RT

marid22

Luv those things!

I have a cordpro for the shore power line as well as smaller ones for the at home extension cords. I love them. I keep thinking they would make great gifts but I figure people would think I am weirder than they already do! I also have those ratcheting cord holders. We call them cord cuffs. They work well and I have them from huge down to teeny weeny for things like ipod cords.

Margaret
Vega E-27
Hudson River NY

jreddington

Member III
Just be careful when using them. Most cord manufacturers include warnings NOT to use the cord wound up and to completely unwind the cord when using.

Reason is that the current running through the cords does produce a small amount of heat due to the resistance of copper. You don't normally feel any heat because it's dissipated along the entire length of the cord exposed to free air. Wind the cord up and heat can build up in the center of the coil.

Looked at the web site and didn't see any cautions on this. Are there any warning labels on the thing?

Worst case can result in fire. Most likely, over time, cord insulation deteriorates due to the heat and you get a short. If the circuit breaker feeding it is rated properly it pops before a fire can start since the plastic insulation has some built-in fire resistant properties. If there are contaminants such as gas or other light combustibles wound into or on the cord, you could get a fire going.

Of course, heat produced is proportional to the current. Light loads for limited duration are probably OK. However, let's say you're using it to run a heater in the boat for late fall, early spring projects. Do yourself (and the rest of the boats in the yard) a favor. Unwind the cord completely.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Cord Contained...

I just d/l some more pics out of the camera and found this recent one of our standard 30 amp 50' cord wound inside this nifty little holder. Considering how much of a large loose coil it forms otherwise, it seems almost amazing that it goes inside this gizmo.
:cool:

Loren

ps: this will probably "wind up" this particular thread. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• cord rolled in.jpg
    cord rolled in.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 138

FullTilt E28

Member III
Hey!

This is funny. Small world. I was working the Alameda/Oakland show right next to the booth selling those. He only sold 30 the whole show. I'm still trying to sell a couple Ultimate 24's LOL.. Not sure which of us did the best biz. LOL

Wife and I just bought our mini cruiser 1986 E28 - we own a Ultimate 20 for the racing action.

Just FYI -- Harken was selling all their hardware 40% off at the show. I have a list of gear I plan on picking up at the show next April.