• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Happy Holidays!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
:egrin: From Skipper Jeff & The Pride of Cucamonga.

Thanks for all the support and help in restoring my boat over the last four years. I like to think I have made some good friends here even though we have never meet face to face.

Jeff:egrin:

Attachments

• XMasCard2006.jpg
    XMasCard2006.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 70
  • XMasCard20062.jpg
    XMasCard20062.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 63

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Rigging Tips

Ain't Photoshop wonderful?

By the way, your new lighted forestay and backstay could use some tensioning. They look cool, but I would be concerned in these small craft advisories we've been having.

:egrin:

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Soon, I hope!

It's been two weeks since I paid out the nose for a new hunk of cloth for the bow, and I only used it the day the sailmaker rep bent it on and we took a test drive. Since then, the crew (family) has been too busy with school, work and shopping to sail. :mad:

Since I don't (yet) have an auto pilot, and my main is a bear to hoist, reef and douse, I need someone to steer into the wind for a few minutes. Otherwise, I would have been out single-handing this weekend in the good blows.

If I'm crewless again, wanna go play in the rough stuff?

-mark

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Sure, I would be up to fowling my fowlies!

Sure, I would be up to fowling my fowlies but it will have to be after the Holidays. Regarding "Small Craft Advisories", just what constitutes a Small Craft? In other words, how small is a Small Craft? I've often wondered. Are we talking anything less than a Ship of say a 100 feet of more?

Any way, I would love to crew with you on your E-34. I crewed with Kevlar Pirate on his E-46 once. All I could say was WOW! What a boat!

Cheers, Jeff:egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
AFAIK:
"Small Craft" = 65 feet and under.

Loren

Last edited:

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Small Craft

According to NOAA, there is no legal definition of "small craft."

However, I thought it was generally regarded as 33 feet and under.

60 feet seems way too big to require a warning for 25-knot winds. Hell, I worked on a 65-foot stinkpot in which the daily conditions on deck were 35-knots-plus, and seas of 15-25. I've been in 80-100 knot winds and 50+ foot seas on that same boat (it was three days before we could go on deck). The latter condition deserved a warning.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Another Maritime Mystery Solved.

Thanks Loren, Another Maritime Mystery Solved. I guess I am now guilty of being a Small Craft during many advisories.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I have heard small craft defined as 26' on one occasion and 30' on another--does anyone really know? I have never heard the 33' mentioned in the post above, and can't really believe 65' either.
I know I have sailed boats in the 20 - 34' range during small craft warnings weather, and the boats just seemed to be coming into their own at approximate hull speed and great sailing!:D
Frank.

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Dunno

About a month ago, I was curious and looked it up. The best explanation I found said 33 feet or under, and I was suprised it was so big. Now I can't find my source.

Googling today, I saw a reference to 65 feet which I think is nuts.

I think NOAA leaves it undefined for a reason. There are some tiny craft I would trust in heavy seas, and many large ones that I would fear on a flat lake.

I'm amazed by some of the top-heavy stink pots in the harbor. Recently, I was talking to the owner of a 65-foot boat that required more than a month to deliver from Seattle to Southern California last summer. And, I can see why --in anything over 10 knots, or four-foot seas on the beam, I would fear it capsizing. In that, I would heed the "small craft" advisories.

Small Craft?

Hi, I got curious and looked up the question, and the Wikpedia lists a small craft as undefined by the weather service , but defined by the Coast Guard as 33 feet. - Chris

HGSail

Member III
I have found 30+ winds when crossing to the Channel Islands not to be a problem in my 29 using my ST4000t. Now I have not been out in 40kts and I don't think I will anytime soon but 25-30kts is ok. The people that go with me I don't call crew because they know little if nothing about sailing, So I am single handling it even when someone is aboard with me. This is my life.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Pat,
30 plus knots of wind sounds like quite alot of wind for an E29. What sail configuration do you use in those conditions--ie. double reef, storm jib? other?
Thanks,
Frank.