• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Deep Water The Movie

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Nice one Chris. A Whomper! LOL. At least that movie had decent sailing scenes even though it was an awfull movie.

This one is about Donald Crowhurst and the Golden Globe race. If you have not read the book "Voyage for Madmen" you should. It is a very well written account of this race. I highly recommend it.

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
What's a Womper?

What's a Womper? The racing disaster book I really enjoyed was "The Proving Ground" about The Sydney to Hobart race that went bad. I also read "Fatal Storm" about the same race but was written from the perspective of different crews from "Proving Ground".

Not too many sailing movies out there other than, Wind, The Dove & White Squall unless you include Master & Commander and Bounty as well as all those Errol Flynn movies. Can anyone recommend any others?:confused:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
there was one about the pilgrims that one an acadamy award for special affects-- spencer tracy was in it, I think.

Against All Flags is my personal favorite, but that's not really a "sailing" movie. But it's Errol Flynn, Anthony Quinn, and Maureen O'Hara... who can go wrong with that?

Chris

Mike.Gritten

Member III
A "whomper" was a special sail, a spinaker if I remember correctly, that Matthew Modine used on his 12 meter Americas Cup boat in the yacht racing movie, "Wind".

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Oh Yeah, I remember now. They won the race with that Native American theme kite. I also remember them doing Native American dances on the decks. You are right, bad movie but great sailing scenes. I liked the International 14 scenes best.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Very cool

The Crowhurst story is truly amazing-sailed around in circles in the South Atlantic faking position reports to indicate progress around the world, until the stress of keeping it all plausible, guilt, and who knows what other demons drove him to madness and likely right off the boat.

The scheme came together, IIRC, in the first month or so after the start from the UK, where he realized he had neither the experience, right boat or preparation to actually complete the voyage. This guy had virtually no sailing experience and became terrified-one can almost buy into the logic of staying in the relatively benign South Atlantic..at least that is what I remember

Looking forward to the flick

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Passing "Wind"

<A "whomper" was a special sail,>

Funny, it looked all the world to me like a ordinary
masthead chute. Even more unbelievable was that
Jennifer Grey could pass for a aerodynamicist/sailmaker!
Cheezy lovestory notwithstanding, it had some
excellent on the water footage.

Martin

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
<A "whomper" was a special sail,>

Funny, it looked all the world to me like a ordinary
masthead chute. Even more unbelievable was that
Jennifer Grey could pass for a aerodynamicist/sailmaker!
Cheezy lovestory notwithstanding, it had some
excellent on the water footage.

Martin

I had never seen it before I started racing-- my comment was, "great, so some big ass IOR boat put up a masthead kite? Big deal:rolleyes_d: ". And besides, the last time I had a chute go "WHOMP" very loud, it turned into confetti.
My two personal favorite scenes are 1. a match race that is completely becalmed... and 2. on the way back into the harbor M. Modine is obviously not paying much attention to the boat- and somebody grabs the wheel!:D

I'm always amazed at how many advertisements for good living involve a sailboat- and what dirty looks I get from people more than 50 miles from water when I tell them I sail--- weird polorization...

Chris

Bob in Va

Member III
A couple more...

"Captains Courageous" with Spencer Tracy has a good sailing scene in it, involving the big fishing schooners off Labrador.
"Knife in the Water", Roman Polanski's first full length movie (a graduate school project, I believe, shot on a shoestring budget) is an interesting if offbeat story about three people on a sailboat for a weekend. I wonder how many pleasure boats there were in Poland in '62. If you watch closely you will see a mistake made by the skipper in setting up the boat at the dock - guess they didn't have money for a re-take. But there are some really good action scenes of an interesting boat under sail.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Knife in the Water

Bob, thanks for the post mentioning Knife in the Water. I watched about an hour of it recently, late at night, on a digital cable channel. I couldn't record it and I couldn't stay up to watch the end. Here is a little more information about it.

Images Journal site

Bob in Va

Member III
Interesting, Craig

You do need to see the end of it, as that draws the entire story together. Up until then you begin to wonder if it is going to make sense, but everything tightens up and in this time of gee-whiz glitz and special effects it is neat to see the drama develop just from the personalities and situation they are in. Plus the sailing scenes are quite well done. I have a tape of it if you want to see the ending.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks for the offer. Bob. I may take you up on it. When I did a search I discovered that it is available on DVD and is considered an early sign of Polanski's genius. I guess it got him "noticed." I would like to see it from start to finish, so let me think about it.

My wife and I watched Pirates of the Caribbean 2 today. It's not really a sailing movie, even less so than the first. But there is some nice scenery and there is one of those dinghy-surf upset scenes also. Since reading the other Raftup thread (Baja Ha Ha Photo of the day) I knew what was coming and had a pretty good laugh. I assume that no dinghies were harmed during the filming of the movie.