• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Headed to St. Thomas

u079721

Contributing Partner
I've just been invited to help crew a Perry 47 from Fort Lauderdale to St. Thomas in late November early December. Anybody done this hop before and have any advice to impart? From what I can gather we basically head pretty much due east into the mostly SE winds on starboard tack till we think we can fetch St. Thomas on port tack.

CaptnNero

Accelerant
I've just been invited to help crew a Perry 47 from Fort Lauderdale to St. Thomas in late November early December. Anybody done this hop before and have any advice to impart? From what I can gather we basically head pretty much due east into the mostly SE winds on starboard tack till we think we can fetch St. Thomas on port tack.

Based on what Seth recently said in another thread (http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=3842) about getting there from the north it sounds like going from Ft Lah-dee-dah is a rough way to go. The preferred route would be to head east into it from much further north for a few days and then reach nicely down to the islands. I know someone who sailed a 43 footer from Puerto Rico west to Florida in November '04 and was sailing downwind in big seas, often burying the bow and fighting the jibbing tendencies in heavy weather.

Steve, is the boat already in Florida ?

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
The owner keeps in on the gulf side, but will be bringing it around to Fort Lauderdale for our departure. So that much I probably can't change. Though I supose if the wind is too close to the nose we will end up footing off enough to accomplish much the same as if we left from further north along the Florida coast.

Last edited:

CaptnNero

Accelerant
The owner keeps in on the gulf side, but will be bringing it around to Fort Lauderdale for our departure. So that much I probably can't change. Though I supose if the wind is to close to the nose we will end up footing off enough to accomplish much the same as if we left from further north along the Florida coast.

Seth's done a bunch of deliveries on the east coast. Maybe he'll check in on this one.

Meanwhile Steve, it sounds like a great opportunity. And it follows one of Guy Stevens' guidelines to cruise by riding on someone else's vessel http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=3906 ;)

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Heading South?

Well, the farther north you start from, the better reaching angles will happen sooner..However, if you are leaving from Ft. Liquordale, then absolutely head East on a slighly cracked off beat (beter speed and more comfy ride) until you can fetch at least a line to San Juan. This is a million times better than trying to go direct-you would be upwind the whole time and could face those same winds that 43 footer experienced-except you would be going uphill instead of downhill-yuk! So, the advice you got was correct.

Should be a WONDERFUL experience though.

Enjoy!

S