• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Chesapeake Bay Good Old Boat Regatta

Emerald

Wondering if anyone has sailed in the Good Old Boat Regatta in the past few years, and if so, curious about how it all went and the tone etc. Thinking of doing Sunday only, but not sure if after the prior Saturday Night's Ericson gathering at the Boatyard, if this is more ambitious than I should take on as my first "race" in over 25 years, and then I was a teen doing what I was told in a casual competitive atmosphere (Tartan 34 Owner's Association back in the 70's), not running the show.

Thanks

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

therapidone

Member III
I know several folks

Greetings David,

I know at least two who have participated in past GOB regatta races...let me query them and get back to you.

Regards,

Ed:egrin:

therapidone

Member III
1st reply

Greetings David,

I'm still awaiting word from one other source who has raced all his life & is a very competitive person. Here's what I got from somebody who is a relatively competitive person, but has not fared that well in "yacht" racing:

"It is fairly laid back, but I would recommend your friend
attend the captain's meeting Friday night. The course,
starting sequence, and race rules are explained for non-racers
and there are no stupid questions.

Watch out for the rabid Cal owners! LOL."

Regards,

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Question about eligibility

Does the year of first production rule for this race change each year? We'd do it when the years roll around.
Chris

therapidone

Member III
I don't think so

Greetings Chris,

A year or two ago, I emailed one of the 2 putative organizers of the event to suggest that the entry requirements change each year...actually, they would remain the same (boats of 25 or 30 years of age and older or whatever the boats' ages were at the time). So, each year that went by, another year's worth of boats would become eligible. I received no reply.:esad:

Plus, the entry requirements haven't changed since I emailed my unsolicited suggestion--pre 1975 & that's it...arrrghhh (oh, that was yesterday:) )! The organizers are making certain that they keep out the J-boat crowd & only want older designed boats entering. If they let the J-boats in, they expect that the J-boats would almost always clean up. At least this is what I have been told by others who have entered the races in past years...in other words, don't hold your breath on an expansion or changing of the entry rules. Now, I do think that if one can get together 3 or more boats of the same make and model, one can create an entry class of a "one-design" nature, regardless of their age...don't quote me on this...check out the web site (something I haven't done since learning that there was no way I could get our '87 E/30+ entered :boohoo: ).

Regards,

therapidone

Member III
2nd source weighs in

Ditto Mike's comments. The old one design CAL fleet are all serious racers that drink a lot. The fixed keel class is raced under PHRF and has some very slow boats. Next to the Dun Cove race there is no easier event for a newbie.

Regards,

Emerald

Thanks for the responses. This all sounds positive for me.

A few more things to check on, and perhaps I'll go for it :egrin:

-David
Independence 31
Emerald