• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

seminar idea

CaptnNero

Accelerant
I'm thinking of hitting the road in our region with a free boat buying and selling seminar, including valuation and the whole transaction process. Obviously it's part of a strategy for my yacht brokerage business, but it would otherwise be void of crass commercial messages so as to meet the non-commerical guidelines so that it can be given at places such as public libraries.

Do you guys think it is a worthwhile thing to do ? Does it sound interesting ?

Ps - at whatever locations possible there will be some free food ;)

Emerald

Hi Neal,

It's an interesting idea, but I do see the dilemma. I have a similar one. I was contacted by a local rigger about bringing them into a CEOA meeting for rigging inspections, but I had two major problems. 1) the rigger had done work for me, and botched it, and I had to fight them tooth and nail to make it right (they didn't make the connection between the guy who walked through their door and the guy listed on the CEOA website for contact info when they sent me the email blindly), and 2) I didn't want to open the organization (as it were) to someone just doing a marketing pitch trying to sell business.

Now, all that said, I've actually thought it would be pretty cool to hold a rigging seminar for our Chesapeake based Ericson owners, and I think this should be a topic at our meeting at the BoatYard Bar and Grill (for those joining this, please see posting in Mid-Atlantic section for meeting details) during the Annapolis Sailboat Show. I do have a rigger in mind, but want to, like you, see what the basic reaction to all this is.

I know I didn't answer your question, but maybe it helps you size it all up. I can see a real value to anyone, boat owner, upgrader, or new owner, in having someone on the broker side go through how it works, best strategies to use when making offers, how to evaluate a boat, not be blinded by excitement but make cold hard accounting decisions etc So, does this mean "go for it"? It certainly could be the basis of a CEOA event, if you will.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Annapolis E-27

Member III
Neal,

Concur with David. I was fortunate enough to have the experience of a broker guide me thru my search and ultimate purchase even though he was not part of the final sale. Any words of wisdom are always welcome. Just remember that with free food one needs to wash it down.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Feb seminars...

Our local club (SMSA in solomons) has a weekly Friday night seminar series put together by our club women's program. Neal, if you'd like to join us- I'll have our women's governor contact you. I've learned a ton from those seminars and we always go out for a couple of cocktails after :cheers:
Chris

CaptnNero

Accelerant
sounds good

Our local club (SMSA in solomons) has a weekly Friday night seminar series put together by our club women's program. Neal, if you'd like to join us- I'll have our women's governor contact you. I've learned a ton from those seminars and we always go out for a couple of cocktails after :cheers:
Chris

Chris, I do thank you for the opportunity for public service. And now back to our show...

CaptnNero

Accelerant
...I know I didn't answer your question, but maybe it helps you size it all up. I can see a real value to anyone, boat owner, upgrader, or new owner, in having someone on the broker side go through how it works, best strategies to use when making offers, how to evaluate a boat, not be blinded by excitement but make cold hard accounting decisions etc So, does this mean "go for it"? It certainly could be the basis of a CEOA event, if you will.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Thanks David for your thoughts. I understand your concern and am very sensitive to the potential for it to be abused or even be perceived to be that way.

This presentation will of course need to be tailored to the public service context.

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Neal,

Concur with David. I was fortunate enough to have the experience of a broker guide me thru my search and ultimate purchase even though he was not part of the final sale. Any words of wisdom are always welcome. Just remember that with free food one needs to wash it down.

Hi Mark,

Yes, sometimes the more washing the better. Thanks for the interest.