• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sailing from Annapolis to Deltaville.

Gary Freeburg

Member II
I hope to have my E27 ready to sail about mid-April and will take it south from Annapolis, MD to Deltaville, VA, its new home. I have no schedule to keep and a single-minded goal of being on the water and enjoying the Bay. I would sincerely appreciate any advice as to anchorages, harbors/marinas and must-see places that you feel I should visit along the way. I'm interested in both eastern and western shores of the Bay. For you Chesapeake sailors, where would you make your stops if you were to do this trip?
Thanks,
Gary Freeburg
SV Katmai

Annapolis E-27

Member III
Chesapeake Bay info

Gary,

If you post this question on the Sailnet :rolleyes: "Chesapeake Bay" list you will get more info than you can take in. Some questionable, but some real good advice.

Emerald

If you haven't had a chance to do much cruising on this part of The Bay, I'd be tempted to cross over to the Eastern Shore and bounce through some places like Oxford, Smith Island, and Tangier on your way back across The Bay. Before cutting over to Tangier, go eat a pile of crabs at Chrisfield.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

lbertran

Member III
Choptank River

I never tire of cruising the Choptank River. Entering by way of Knapps Narrows is fun and interesting and there's a nice marina and good restaurants there by the bridge. David mentioned Oxford, which is wonderful and not to be missed. But also great are anchorages in Broad Creek such as Leadenham Creek and San Domingo Creek which offers a "back door" access to St. Michael's. My all time favorite anchorage is La Trappe Creek, exceptionally beautiful and offering a nice walkable sand beach. Farther up the Choptank is Cambridge, also worth a visit. All of this on one river that always seems to have a nice sailing breeze.
Enjoy!

Laura Bertran
Footloose, 1985 E35-3
Annapolis

Last edited:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Tiki Bar, Tiki Bar, Tiki Bar!!!!

Hi Gary,
Don't forget to stop in to Solomons and have a Mai Tai at the Tiki Bar. It's just one of those things... :devil:

Also some fun stuff up the Patuxant river here, Saint Leonard Creek has some great history and is beautiful. Then take a swing past Hooper Isle light and Smith Point light as you head down.

Chris

Gary Freeburg

Member II
Hello my sailing friends:
I'm taking notes as I read your replies. I've never been on The Bay above Deltaville and look forward to visiting your suggested places.
I will get my charts out and begin marking the spots..thanks for taking the time to point me in some good directions!
All the best,
Gary Freeburg
SV Katmai
E27 #299

tilwinter

Member III
Two of my personal favorites on the lower bay are Reedville on the Virginia side (if you can stand the fish plant smell). Truly a beautiful victorian waterfront town, and great anchorages. I also love Onancock on the Eastern shore. It's a fair distance up the river to town, but lovely once you get there.

What marina will you be using in Deltaville?

jkenan

Member III
Mill Creek off the great Wycomoco river is one of my favs. Deep water, great protection, and beautiful, tree lined shores. Don't be afraid to go fairly far up. I also agree with checking out the eastern shore - The Big Annamessex offers the feeling of being in a wide open space with moderate protection (don't anchor there if the wind is out of the West). Big Annamessex is great you're wanting to be in the middle of nowhere, anchor northwest of the 2nd green mark before the channel turns NE. If you go to Tangier or Smith, make sure you eat no later than 5, as most places close pretty early. And Onancock - great italian restaraunt there if you're into modestly upscale dining. Forget the name. But beware of Tangier Sound. If it's blowing, it will be rougher than the main bay.

I've chartered out of Deltaville many times, you choose a great place to keep your boat. Plenty of awesome places within a days reach.

Good Luck.

Gary Freeburg

Member II
Rod,
I'll be leaving on April 17 from Mayo, MD and plan to take a week+ to enjoy the ride. My final destination (at this time) will be Fishing Bay. Many good suggestions in this thread..I appreciate all the replies and look forward to visiting many of these locations on this trip and in the years to come.
Thanks,
Gary Freeburg
SV Katmai

therapidone

Member III
I have to second Emerald's (hi, David), Ibertran's, and Chris Miller's suggestions. If you do stop in Oxford, I strongly suggest stopping at the Robert Morris Inn & you can't order anything else other than their crab cakes!!! James Michener used to have them shipped to him in Alaska when he was doing research on that book! I prefer mine grilled, but they fry them, too. In fact, all the food was good there. Too bad you're only starting from Annapolis and heading south...otherwise, I'd suggest you go north and east & stop in Rock Hall...anchoring in Swan Creek & checking out the town.