• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New Owner in Wisconsin!

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Slip Fees

Im new to this forum, "just this morning as a member". I feel your pain with the new expense for the slips. I live in a slower economic climate, that will soon adhere to what you are going through.
I have watched the forum from a distance and have really admired its class and integrity that has been displayed.
I want to introduce myself, my name is Rob Hessenius and I have been an Ericson owner since April of 05. I own a 1973 E25 hull #88. Since I was 10, 28 years ago, I have wanted a Ericson. I first thought that sailboats were all Ericsons. My fathers friend had a E39 in Fish Creek, Wi called "Right On" we lived on this boat for most all the summer. Eventually he divorced and the Ericson dissappeared. I will always remember the lines of that boat!!!!
26 years later, I realized how boring, yet hypocritical my life has become. I am a manager of a West Marine in Oshkosh, Wi. Here I was giving advise and instruction 40+hours a week and would leave work and play 9 holes 5 times a week. I knew i needed to get my head back into the game/regatta!
In April of 05 I purchased a E25 out of Racine Wi and had it transported up to Oshkosh. I promised myself that the first year would be shake-down year for myself and I wanted to find my old skills again.
I learned sooooooooooooooo much last year. Education began day 1 and was progressing till yhe day I put my boat away in November and it was 84 degrees
I really hope to be helpfull in this forum and look forward to gathering knowledge to help me with my project. Thank you for your time. RGH

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Congrats & Welcome!

Greetings & Welcome!

I hope you don't mind me moving your post to your own thread - I wanted others to see/greet you...

Wisconsin, eh? Very nice! It's a little cold there right now, no? Congrats on your purchase of an Ericson.

Be sure to visit the Great Lakes and Land Locked forums - as there are Ericson owners everywhere...I myself grew up on Lake Erie...

//sse

Blue Chip

Member III
Hey, I was born and raised in Milwaukee...left a long time ago...but always wondered... is there a Sailing (boating) club..Yacht club...whatever in Milwaukee? Does it have a web site...name...etc?
Really Curious.
Mark May
on the Bay

Sven

Seglare
Welcome to the forum !

I guess the advantage of being where you are is that you get lots of time on the hard to fix things :)

Look forward to reading about your sailing, projects and problems.

-Sven

Mindscape

Member III
Welcome

Congrats on your E. I'm down in Kenosha, if you're ever in the area let me know!!! Tons of good stuff here, as you've alread found out.

Bob in Va

Member III
Great to have you aboard! I can tell from the tone of your comments that you are going to enjoy this site and make excellent use of it. You have a real good boat - I almost bought one just like it (same year, too) from a buddy several years ago. "Oshkosh" always brings an interesting memory to mind - I passed through there about dark, having left a spot near Mattawa, Ontario that morning, on the way to doing a 935-mile day on my 500 cc Kawasaki. That was in '71, and my back still hurts from it. Ah, the joys of youth! It is easy to tell that your E-boat has already begun helping you "get your mind right." And that first day out this spring will be worth a winter of waiting...

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Thanks for the Welcome

Thanks you guys for the nice welcome. I'll answer a few questions, Sean, ya its kinda cold here, but not as bad as most would think (35) and snowing. Our past few winters have really been cupcakes. We really only have a couple of inches of snow on the ground. In January it was in the forties almost all month. I was able to do some projects on my boat that I thought I would have to wait till April to even start. By the end of March winter will give away to spring. I hope to accomplish the tasks that I have planned by May 15th. I am installing a new traveler system and painting from the waterline up to the rubrail and also the shear and boot stripe. I purchased all new halyards and sheets that need to be run. I had all new cabin cushions made this past month. I also installed a speed/depth/temp instument in January. Last year I sanded and applied varnish to the interior. I'm kind of trying to take a old boat back to a"new" boat using all of todays products. As of right now I plan on keeping this boat for quite sometime.
Mark, Im in Oshkosh and dont really know what yacht clubs are down there. I did once go to a party south of the airport off Ralston at a yacht club. I think it was called South Shore YC. I'll call around this week and get back with you.
Again Thanks Rob

Last edited:
A new E 25 in the neighborhood

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the site. It's good to have an other E 25 in the upper mid-west to gam with. For your edification, my wife, Sandy, and I sail on Lake Onalaska which is just north of La Crosse,Ws. Sven is right, there is too much time to work on boats in the winter time but that's life. I know you'll have a great time on your boat... we sure do. There are a few quirky things about her but doesn't every boat? If you have any questions, feel free to get a hold of me or anybody else for that matter. There is a wealth of knowedge to be had here on site. Hope to here from you soon.

Fair winds and full sails

Chad and Sandy

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
midwesterners...

I grew up about 20 miles up the river from Chad and Sandy in Winona, MN.
Congrats on your new boat!:egrin:
Chris

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Chad/Sandy- I am a graduate of UW-L. I sailed a Hobie for 5 years on Lake Onalaska. Some kids come with hopes, I came with a Hobie. Rob

Lake Onalaska

Hi Rob,

What a small world. I to learned to sail on a Hobie 16 on Lake Onalaska back in the 70's. It was a friends boat who bought it on a whim(truth be know, I was the one that infected him with the sailing bug). He didn't know how to sail and I had about a years worth of reading on the subject so that made me the "old hand" so to speak. Decades later, my wife and I now sail an E25 swing keel on the same lake. It's alot slower but so much more comphy than the H16 and that means alot at our dottering age.

Hope you have a lot of fun this season.

Fair winds and full sails.

Chad

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Milwaukee Clubs

Milwaukee Yacht club is a very nice and well known yacht club-there is a fairly active PHRF fleet there, and they host the Milwaukee Grand Prix-a 2 day regatta that brings boats from all over the Great Lakes.

There are a couple of smaller clubs, too, but I am not familiar with them..

BTW-there is a E 25 of similar vintage that races in the Coastal races (Chicago-Waukegan, etc) that does VERY VERY well out here-with some love, you will have a competitive boat if racing is in your future plans.

Best of luck and again, welcome!

Seth