• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sailnet Back?

Dan Hayes

Member III
I received this e-mail today from SailNet.com... I don't know anything about marine.com - does anyone else?

Pre-Press Release: marine.com and SailNet tie the knot (a bowline of course!)
Date: Tuesday November 1, 2005

We want you, our Community, to know first.

It is with great pleasure and lots of excitement that we announce a new Captain at the helm of your SailNet Community. After several months in the doldrums, the southern winds have propelled SailNet north to merge with marine.com. Providing boaters with name-brand products and top-rated service since 1997, marine.com is one of the Web's leading e-commerce sites.

Sailnet's decade-long legacy of serving the sailing community will continue. The interactive forums, articles and other links on the SailNet.com website are operational today. Over the next couple of weeks we will re-launch an upgraded website, activate the SailNet email lists and introduce you to a new and expanded sailing store.

Most importantly, with the solid backing of marine.com, access to the SailNet Community continues to be FREE.

The New Crew is fully committed.
We value your continued support of the SailNet Community which has been recognized as "Best of the Web" for content, resources and community four years in a row by Forbes Magazine. SailNet's new Crew understands that it is because of you that this recognition has been bestowed.

We would like to hear your thoughts on the SailNet Community and your suggestions for future enhancements. Please visit www.sailnet.com to contact us. We look forward to serving your needs.

Rob Proctor
CEO, marine.com / SailNet
www.sailnet.com

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have never heard of this marine.com. Which may only mean that I do not look around the net much... :)
I have bought around a couple of thou worth of stuff from the old Sailnet online store, and was a previous customer of JSI, who was in turn acquired by Sailnet to get them into the sailing gear-selling business.

First thought is that the new guys bought the digital assets of Sailnet for a penny on the dollar in an auction. It's now in their interest to make it sound as seemless as possible, too.

It will be interesting to see if they can make a nickle off it.
Meanwhile, I am sure glad that we have our our own listserv, as a part of this site's software!
:rolleyes:

Loren in PDX

Last edited:

Dan Hayes

Member III
Yes, I was a big fan (customer) of SailNet, too - it really was a sailing community. But, as happened with all the dotcoms, money got in the way... I was relieved to find this site, that has Ericson owners who often have solved the problems that I am running into every day with my Ericson... I think we should do more to promote this site on other site's list servs, as someone is obviously trying to do with their site (based on an e-mail I received today - from someone with a Beneteau...).

It was a longtime dream of mine to sail an Ericson, and it's very rewarding to know that there are other people out there who feel the same way. So, I'll continue to support this site and I'm grateful to the people who invest the time to help me out and make my boat ownership more enjoyable by sharing their knowledge.

However, I do hope SailNet comes back as a good place to buy marine items -WestMarine is getting a tad too pricey for me...

Tazman

Member I
Marine.com

I had the opportunity to buy a Questus backstay radar mount from Marine.com last week. When I called to place the order I spoke to Rob (the owner of Marine.com) and he told me of the pending change of ownership of sailnet.com. Rob seems is a very savy businessman and was able to expand his web presence by the purchase of Marine.com. Rob was very helpful in helping me to come to a conclusion as to what mount would work best on my Ericson 32. He is an active sailor and gave me a very fair deal. I do plan on doing business with him in the future.

Joe Benedict

Member II
I'm an ex SailNet customer also and just picked up the same message. Visited Marine.com and they appear to have a lot more choices than B.U.S/WM. Any more real experiences out there?

jmoses

Member III
Return of Sailnet - it's true

Yes, Sailnet is back. They have a website that is almost the same as the old sailnet, but it's a bit cheesier....some of the pictures look like they were scanned in by a 1980's scanner. Try: http://sailnet.com/

I cruised around the new site and the prices seem reasonable on the items I checked on, but they are missing alot of stuff and the lay out is not very user friendly......try a search under "winches" and you'll get 700+ hits in no real order....UGH.

Also, there is no category for "Sailing" which seems a bit odd for a company entitled "Sailnet".

I too purchased quite a bit of expensive gear from the old Sailnet as there was no tax and shipping was usually free. They would occasionally have great deals on stuff ...like Andersen winches. I was able to purchase 2 #40's STs for 750.00 after old winch trade in (maybe that's why they went broke at those prices).

I popped off an e-mail to the 'new' company asking exactly what happened to the old Sailnet and how they took care of some of the folks that got taken when the company went belly up. I know a few folks who lost money on the closing as they never received their gear - thay had to stop payment on credit cards to get their money back. I also read about one guy (Latitude 38) who ordered two sails, was charged thousands and never recieved his sails. Airforce took it upon themselved to make the deal right and shipped the sails out at their expense. Kudos to Airforce!

I guess time will tell, but the current prices are no better than Defender, Hamilton or Jamestown Distibuters and at least those folks have been around for a while, so you'll probaly get your gear from them.

Leery and waiting to see if they last,

John M.