• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Help with purchase of new old Ericson 38

RobbyBobby

Ahoy,

I am buying Ericson 38 from 1998 (currently have Catalina 27), so it is a big upgrade.

1. I wonder if there is a list of things I should be looking for (that statistically speaking going wrong) on the boat.

2. Could you help me by suggesting surveyor in t he area (Pasadena, MD) who is familira with Ericson

3. Finally would any of you who owns and maintain his/her Ericson 38 would be willing to talk to me over lunch or dinner (my treat).

Thank you and all the best!

Robert

kari

Member III
I suggest you also post this over at Sailnet , they have a ton of people in your area . . .

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This whole forum is a free lunch:).

You can run your eye over my initial projects on a 1984 E38 ("Thelonious II") here: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?242-Table-of-Contents-for-Thelonious-Blog

See "A New Boat" video for survey notes.

I think any surveyor who specializes in sailboats is fine. You can always ask "What do you think of Ericson yachts?" to get an idea.

The E38s don't have any outstanding problems caused by design or construction mistakes. The usual issues are water damage caused by ports that need rebedding after all these years, and the overall effects of time.

Inside, I looked hard at the upholstery and the floorboards. Both are expensive to repair or replace.

Outside, the stays and lifelines, which may well need to be replaced on any boat of the era.

I would pay for a separate rigging and engine inspection, because they are beyond the scope of a standard survey.

Let us know the listing, it may further the conversation.

RobbyBobby

This whole forum is a free lunch:).

You can run your eye over my initial projects on a 1984 E38 ("Thelonious II") here: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?242-Table-of-Contents-for-Thelonious-Blog

See "A New Boat" video for survey notes.

I think any surveyor who specializes in sailboats is fine. You can always ask "What do you think of Ericson yachts?" to get an idea.

The E38s don't have any outstanding problems caused by design or construction mistakes. The usual issues are water damage caused by ports that need rebedding after all these years, and the overall effects of time.

Inside, I looked hard at the upholstery and the floorboards. Both are expensive to repair or replace.

Outside, the stays and lifelines, which may well need to be replaced on any boat of the era.

I would pay for a separate rigging and engine inspection, because they are beyond the scope of a standard survey.

Let us know the listing, it may further the conversation.

Thank you very much! Your blog is the real treasure cove!
I am just starting to read 4th post. Very much appreciated!

Boat is not listed, it is a purchase from the friend of a friend.