• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

just purchased Ericson 29, sailing from Occoquan to Deltaville Tuesday

Blue Wind

Hi folks,
I'm new here and a new owner of a 1975 Ericson 29.
the boat is in Occoquan on the Potomac and I'm sailing her with a friend to Deltaville next week.
She has a brand new diesel ( Westerbeke 25). I havent been on the Potomac before.
I had scheduled 2 days for this trip but I'm beginning to think it may take 3 days.
Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated as far as how long it'll take, and best places to anchor.
Im looking at Yeocomico River and Machodoc creek- upper and lower.
It has a 14 gallon tank and I'm bringing two 5 gallon jersey cans of diesel as well.
Thanks in advance.

frick

Member III
Enjoy the Ericson 29

Hi folks,
I'm new here and a new owner of a 1975 Ericson 29.
the boat is in Occoquan on the Potomac and I'm sailing her with a friend to Deltaville next week.
She has a brand new diesel ( Westerbeke 25). I havent been on the Potomac before.
I had scheduled 2 days for this trip but I'm beginning to think it may take 3 days.
Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated as far as how long it'll take, and best places to anchor.
Im looking at Yeocomico River and Machodoc creek- upper and lower.
It has a 14 gallon tank and I'm bringing two 5 gallon jersey cans of diesel as well.
Thanks in advance.

I have had my Ericson 29 for almost 15 year. A GREAT boat. If you keep your heel around 15 to 17 degrees you will sail faster.

When I cruse my e29 I plan on about averaging 5 miles an hour. It seems to work out pretty well.

Enjoy
Rick+

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Average 5 knots is about right, motoring in a straight line,anyway. All things being equal. I don't know the Potomac, but things can work out quite a bit different on the Columbia. Especially on the lower river, if you're going against current and tide, you may be barely moving at times. Sometimes it's better to just wait than burn all that fuel.