• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 34T on the Rappahannock!

cm.johnson

Hey everyone! I bought my E 34T in July, have been working on it to get it ready for a Labor Day cruise. Just thought I'd get a discussion started for the Chesapeake Bay group. So...one thing I noticed, is there is very little information on the 34T. I guess not many were made and from what I gather, there was not a standard specification for this model. My particular boat, "Widnswept" hull # 115 has @ 6' draft and a tall rig. I brought the boat down the Potomic and around the point south to the Rappahannock and it handled the wind and short chop just great. I'm looking forward to getting on the water with the boat. I received no documentation with the boat and from what I can tell, it sat for years on the hard, under a tarp. It started out in Norfolk where it sat for years, then moved up to Kinsale, VA where it again sat for a number of years. Anyway... Any leads on boat documentation would be greatly appreciated! I've re-packed the shaft gland, re-plumbed the fuel system (rotted lines) and am now in the process of updating the electrical system. Any information on this model, or general Ericson practices for wiring would be greatly appreciated! I've got admit I'm more of a sailor then I am an organizer but if anyone would like to someday do an Ericson rally on the Chesapeake Bay, Regent Point is the perfect spot on the middle bay, or we could meet somewhere else around there.
Look forward to the comments!
Chris

Last edited:

PatrickMcHugh

I am at Walden't marina on Broad creek, an E29 called "finlandia" I'm there every sunday, you're welcome for a beer sometime! I usually sail around the river and if it's nice i'll anchor and bring my dogs to Mosquito island. 804-727-9204

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Plenty of info

There is plenty of info on this boat here on the site. The only variations were the rigs-there was a std and tall rig version-also a number of boats had some local mods done to the boom length (E dimension). So when it comes to anything rig related, you should take some measurements to be sure and validate what you have. The brochure is in the download section under "34 documents". You will see the 34T brochure there.

One of our members just took delivery of a 100% reconditioned 34T which was the subject of an article in Sail Magazine, I think. Do a little seaching here and you will find what you need, and ask any specific questions which arise- we will hook you up!

Cheers,
S

Last edited:

bayhoss

Member III
I'm in the same area on Broad Creek at Timberneck - usually sail on Sundays. I look out for you guys.

Best,
Frank

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Hey everyone! I bought my E 34T in July, have been working on it to get it ready for a Labor Day cruise. Just thought I'd get a discussion started for the Chesapeake Bay group. So...one thing I noticed, is there is very little information on the 34T. I guess not many were made and from what I gather, there was not a standard specification for this model. My particular boat, "Widnswept" hull # 115 has @ 6' draft and a tall rig. ... Anyway... Any leads on boat documentation would be greatly appreciated! I've re-packed the shaft gland, re-plumbed the fuel system (rotted lines) and am now in the process of updating the electrical system. Any information on this model, or general Ericson practices for wiring would be greatly appreciated! I've got admit I'm more of a sailor then I am an organizer but if anyone would like to someday do an Ericson rally on the Chesapeake Bay, Regent Point is the perfect spot on the middle bay, or we could meet somewhere else around there.
Look forward to the comments!
Chris

I have no idea what the original wiring practices were, but my boat had been rewired before I purchased it. Then I rewired the DC system again, and will redo the AC system when other projects let me get back to that. I had a new panel fabricated, and I just need to put it all together.

There really isn't much information available on the 34T other than the brochure, and the memories of Seth and Martin King. A few years ago I started a collection of pics from other 34T's listed online so I could begin restoring portions that were altered in mine, and to get ideas on how to solve various issues. I could email them to you if you're interested.

I hope you like your boat--I think you will.

Mark