Wood hatches, rebuild or replace?

cdh4088

Member II
The wooden box hatches on my 78 E32 will need to be remade or replaced.
I can make new ones or replace them with more modern hatches, Vetus or lewmar.

Which would you choose and why?

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
People have been successful both ways.
I had an adventure replacing mine. Now that it’s done, I’m glad I did it.

It has a much better seal. Lower profile so jib sheets don’t hang up on it. Love the “vent” mode of the Lewmar hatch that locks just slightly open.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Can you add the link to the subsequent posts? I couldn't easily find them.

(Nice description of my entire boating life: The complexity of this fiasco probably cannot be conveyed adequately in the three-photo limit.)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For some good commentary and pix, click on the Search icon. Enter "wood hatch' and for the name enter 'Martin King'. Nice list of site links to ponder. That said, I am glad for having alloy hatches, because I am NOT a wood worker at all. :)

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Can you add the link to the subsequent posts? I couldn't easily find them.

(Nice description of my entire boating life: The complexity of this fiasco probably cannot be conveyed adequately in the three-photo limit.)
OK. When I looked it up, they all showed up in a box at the right under “More entries in Glazing - Ports and Windows and Hatches.”
How not to retrofit a hatch: Prelude
How not to retrofit a hatch: Destruction
How not to retrofit a hatch: Installation

kapnkd

kapnkd
The original Teak box styled main salon hatch on our ‘73 E32-II was a pain from the get-go.

The 45 degree corners of both top and bottom halves always worked and leaked regardless of how well maintained and varnished.

We replaced the top with an aluminum framed model and then totally glassed in the new bottom framework.

The results are...no more leaks and a more updated looking lower profile. (We mounted the hatch to open afterward to clear our solid Garhauer Vang System as well.

Attachments

• 91E0FBD2-2A64-4B58-AA73-2C344078E094.jpeg
    91E0FBD2-2A64-4B58-AA73-2C344078E094.jpeg
    239.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 829CC6C6-D50E-459D-B8A1-15C54FF1AC20.jpeg
    829CC6C6-D50E-459D-B8A1-15C54FF1AC20.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 18

peaman

Sustaining Member
(We mounted the hatch to open afterward to clear our solid Garhauer Vang System as well.
Any regrets on ventilation? I'm considering a rigid vang, but I'm concerned about reduction in ventilation at anchor.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We also reversed our main hatch due to our Garhauer rigid boom vang on our 1984 E30+. With the main hatch, v berth hatch, head window and companionway hatch boards we have lots of options for ventilation, which has never been a problem.
Frank

kapnkd

kapnkd
Any regrets on ventilation? I'm considering a rigid vang, but I'm concerned about reduction in ventilation at anchor.

Not really, although the old hatch’s larger size and facing forward DID funnel air volume at an amazing rate by itself. With the smaller V-berth hatch open, it then still allows an excellent cabin flow between the two hatches.

We found, for ourselves, the benefits of a solid vang for a sailing advantage are well worth the change of our hatch opening direction.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW, I reversed our cabin vent hatch also when I replaced it. Lots less chance of spray coming in when under way, too.
At anchor, the size 70 Lewmar forward hatch provides all of the ventilation we would ever need.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Re: ventilation and air flow. I also installed an opening port between the quarterberth and the cockpit footwell. With the V-berth open or in "vent position" and the Q-berth port open, there is nice airflow from end-to-end of the cabin. And the Q-berth is now a much more pleasant place. Lesson learned though - if one does this, one should select a port that has no sharp edges on the spigot, which lurks at ankle level in the cockpit.
Small aliquots of progress: Light and Air to the Qberth

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I've had both on my Ericsons and both have plus and minus, so for me it's a dead heat.

I think what this means is that if you have a solid vang and need to turn it, there's no great loss. Neither orientation will keep spray out going to windward in lively air, since the water comes in either way and the hatch has to be dogged closed, no matter how stifling that can be (thank goodness for the twin dorades on the E38s)..

Forward-facing is probably better at anchor in Florida or Annapolis in summer, when vast volume of air is needed.

Yeah, but wait a minute--if the forward hatch is open, maybe with a wind scoop, a reversed main hatch would probably draw the air out better than forward-facing.

I am arguing with myself. But trust me, I am right.