Where do you store your backup anchor rode?

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Thread title is self-explanatory. My backup anchor rode is 150 feet of 8-plait line, with 50 feet of chain. It fits nicely into a bag and is ready to go and attach to my backup anchor if needed. The bag is heavy, obviously. I'd like to keep it close by, in case it needs to be deployed quickly, but don't feel comfortable putting it in any of the cockpit lazarets, since a serious heel might send it slamming into some important boat parts. Keeping it down below in plain sight is an obvious choice, but it's in the way, and moving it around when anchored or at the slip isn't exactly easy on the old back. Putting it in a v-berth compartment would be the optimal choice, but not easily retrievable from there, when factoring in cushion removal and the like. So was just wondering what you guys do.

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
Question - why carry 50 feet of chain for your backup anchor? Most people I know just run with a 10 foot leader on their backup, the thought being if you deploy it you’re not going to move much and the chain won’t do anything for you.

As to storage, will it fit into a five gallon bucket or a milk crate (if they even make those anymore) that you can fix in place in a cockpit locker? That’s a common way I’ve seen it done.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Question - why carry 50 feet of chain for your backup anchor? Most people I know just run with a 10 foot leader on their backup, the thought being if you deploy it you’re not going to move much and the chain won’t do anything for you.

As to storage, will it fit into a five gallon bucket or a milk crate (if they even make those anymore) that you can fix in place in a cockpit locker? That’s a common way I’ve seen it done.
Milk crate is a great idea, as I do still have a few of those around currently holding some of my record collection.

As for the 50 feet of chain, I mistyped my 8-plait length. It's 100 feet, not 150. And the Admiral wants to ensure we have sufficient overall length in case of emergency. A lot of, "What ifs?" I tried to negotiate 25, but my negotiation skills have deteriorated over the years.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We don't really need a stern anchor here, so I keep mine in the garage. I would take it along if planning to anchor in a no-swing zone, and since my helm-seat lazarette is full of Cape Horn components, storage would be awkward even on the 38.

Otherwise I can't imagine a need under normal circumstances to carry a second anchor.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
We don't really need a stern anchor here, so I keep mine in the garage. I would take it along if planning to anchor in a no-swing zone, and since my helm-seat lazarette is full of Cape Horn components, storage would be awkward even on the 38.

Otherwise I can't imagine a need under normal circumstances to carry a second anchor.
Don't really anticipate using it as stern anchor, but in an emergency situation. (There's zero chance I'd be able to convince my wife to leave it home on our cruise to Block Island next month. Actually, less than zero.)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Every boat and captain will have different solutions. We have always carried a spare anchor, chain, and rode, and have never needed it -yet. "Luck... is a good thing."

I store the spare Danforth 13 at the bottom of our cockpit lazaret on some "dry deck" matting. The extra 10' foot of chain is in an under-settee locker forward, next to the spare prop, with two bronze winch handles for company. These metal parts are on the "light" starboard side of the boat. Spare 200 foot rode is under the forepeak in a bin.

So yup, it would take some time to assemble this lot. I figure that if I every have to abandon my primary anchor setup to the depths, I will be, by definition, headed out to open water where we will have some time to assemble this "spare" ensemble and place it in the anchor well.

We have never had a need for a stern anchor in our sailing area. Different geography would change the discussion quite a bit.

Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
After ditching my propane stove for an non-pressurized alcohol one, I repurposed the molded-in propane locker to store my stern anchor rode. My Fortress FX-16 mounts right next to it on a (stern) pulpit rail mount.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
After ditching my propane stove for a non-pressurized alcohol one, I repurposed the molded-in propane locker to store my stern anchor rode. My Fortress FX-16 mounts right next to it on a (stern) pulpit rail mount.
I was thinking of that Alan. I have two propane tank lockers and I keep a spare tank in one. A spare I still haven’t used in over a year. That might be my best option.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I had to cut my anchor loose (only once in 30 years sailing) when it got stuck and I couldn't retrieve it after half hour, different methods. My spare allowed me to continue anchoring in that trip.
I deployed my spare another time at anchor off the stern when we anchored in a narrow channel, barely enough swing room and wind increased unexpectedly to 35 knots. I wanted the boat secured to minimize risk of dragging.
Both times I was glad to have a secondary anchor aboard.
Frank

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, let me add that, as usual, much depends on the environment. I almost never anchor, water's too deep here and no windlass. Catalina recommends using their mooring balls, of which there are a thousand, a boon for the lazy or old, or both.

Even if venturing to the Channel Islands, an undeveloped destination 100 miles north, I'd certainly bring a spare anchor. And no doubt for any cruise from the Chesapeake to Maine, my old cruising grounds.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I bought a big heavy-duty dry-bag and keep my backup rode in it. I died the bitter end bright red and tie it to one handle; the shackle at the chain end is connected to a different handle, so all I have to do is drag the bag on deck, tie the bitter end to the boat, connect the chain to the anchor, and ... voila.

I stash the bag under the dinette table. Fits nicely, out of the way, and keeps the weight low. I'm weird like that.

ETA: like Christian, I rarely anchor. In places that are no-swing zones, more often than not the stern is secured with a shore-line, not a second anchor.