What's on your list for commissioning season 2024?

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
It's just around the corner, right? Right!?

Wondering what y'all have in mind for projects this year before we delve into the peak of sunset cocktail season. I would have put this thread in Maintenance and Mechanical but it seems more like a chat topic than mechanical advice/guidance seeking.

This year I'm thinking a bunch of the cosmetic stuff I've been putting off and a few other bits and bobs. I hate to admit it but I see how deferred maintenance can pile up. The hard work put into the boat at one time just kinda keeps working.... until it doesn't, I suppose. Trying to get myself motivated to knock some projects out this year.

- Fix some random gelcoat scratches
- Buff/wax.... this year is the year.............. I keep putting it off.
- Replace the forward dorade scoop
- Combine my 4 separate hatch boards into one or two boards so they're less of a pain
- Replace my broken dinette table pedestal
- replace cabinet latches
- build out the ex-wine rack into a useable cabinet

bigger, more expensive daydream projects are like:
- backstay adjuster
- replace the furler
- lithium batteries
- replace the old, freezing-murderous and battery-hogging fridge unit

mechanical stuff will hopefully be limited, but:
- raw water pump keeps eating impellers so I have to figure that out
- i should service the steering cables at some point

Any other inspirational projects or things you're considering?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I sail year round, so maintenance is always underway, but spring maintenance gets more attention when the weather improves. Routine maintenance includes: wash/wax, varnish handrails, check rig tune/grease turnbuckles, check masthead sheaves and spreaders, lubricate toilet valves and pump, service winches, clean electrical contacts, change engine oil and tranny fluid, check raw water impeller, check and tighten all hose clamps, replace engine pencil zinc, lubricate steering cables and pedestal chain, check sail stitching, clean and waterproof dodger and sail cover, vacuum entire boat interior, lubricate headliner zippers, clean boat bottom, propeller and replace zincs.
At longer intervals I get the heat exchanger serviced and replace coolant, replace fuel filters, replace fan belt, get engine valves adjusted, haul the boat for bottom paint.
Every now and then I'll tackle an extra project like varnishing the cabin interior, cabin sole, replacing hoses, etc.
This has worked for the past 17 years I've owned this boat, and for other boats for 15 years before that.
It's worth spending time to maintain our boats, and it decreases the likelihood of problems when cruising.
Frank

klb67pgh

Member III
My biggest project is repairing and varnishing the salvaged teak companionway hatch I obtained last spring from another E25 that was unfortunately damaged beyond any sensible repair. Replacing my forestay in my Harken III furler, which will complete my standing rigging replacement project I started in 2021. Some varnishing of course. Maybe adding a flag halyard. And VC-17 bottom paint touch up at the waterline. Wash and wax. There are some wish list items that might get attention once I finish the above list.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
It's just around the corner, right? Right!?

Wondering what y'all have in mind for projects this year before we delve into the peak of sunset cocktail season. I would have put this thread in Maintenance and Mechanical but it seems more like a chat topic than mechanical advice/guidance seeking.

Any other inspirational projects or things you're considering?

Hi Geoff,
I’ve hesitated whether to add to this thread because when I look at all we want to get done by May it’s kind of daunting. But, here goes:

Finally install all the new sole parts which are pretty much ready to go
Reinstall the saloon table
Finish reinstalling the Q-berth woodwork leftover from the new tank installation
Scrape/sand the bottom, new barrier coat, bottom paint
Convert from CNG to LPG, including install a new stove
Radar will be installed by professionals
Make/install a bracket to support the exhaust riser
Install a float switch for the bilge pump
New anchor rode
Figure out why the new Whale gusher hand pump isn’t working
Replace the heat exchanger zinc
Get a helm pod for the chart plotter and install it
Make a binnacle cover
Add some extra straps to the mainsail cover
Clean and wax the hull
Repair anchor locker latch hole
Treads for the boarding ladder
USB outlet at the nav station
USB/Lighter outlet in the V-berth
Replace waste pump-out and vent hoses
Make a padded bag for the emergency tiller
Make a loading sling for the dinghy outboard

That’s kind of in order of priority. Our big goal this year is to do some 2-10 day cruises. Last year was our first full season with the boat, but we were only able to do day-sailing because the sole wasn’t back in yet. There are many other things on the list but we won’t do much more than move them around on the list.

Btw, I’m inspired by your concertina videos. I don’t have enough skill or time to learn, but they make me want to. We’re due for another, methinks.

Cheers,
Jeff

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
- Combine my 4 separate hatch boards into one or two boards so they're less of a pain

I keep wondering about getting a 1-piece lexan/plexiglass hatch board made. Have no idea what would be involved, but if there are other 32-III owners thinking the same thing, I could make some calls, get some pricing and maybe coordinate a group-buy.

Separately, I think this year is the year I'm going to replace my headstay and backstay. The question rattling around in my head is whether it makes sense to get a new furler at the same time, or if installing the existing furler (on a new headstay) makes more sense.

B

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I keep wondering about getting a 1-piece lexan/plexiglass hatch board made. Have no idea what would be involved, but if there are other 32-III owners thinking the same thing, I could make some calls, get some pricing and maybe coordinate a group-buy.

Separately, I think this year is the year I'm going to replace my headstay and backstay. The question rattling around in my head is whether it makes sense to get a new furler at the same time, or if installing the existing furler (on a new headstay) makes more sense.

B

If I remember correctly you have a nice Schaffer furler. Is there anything in particular you don't like about the unit?

I did the one piece acrylic hatch board a few years ago. The 1 piece 1/4" acrylic board the boat came to me with broke on the first night I stayed aboard, so it was high on the priority list. I purchase a sheet of 1/2" smoked acrylic (2064) from this place:

I rough cut it with a circular saw then used a bottom bearing template bit in my router. A little sanding and buffing the corners and it was done. Getting the latch to line up was a little tricky though
20200110_200251.jpg
20200717_131131.jpg
20200718_155839.jpg

20200814_113241.jpg

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
If I remember correctly you have a nice Schaffer furler. Is there anything in particular you don't like about the unit?

Not really. It works. It's just that the voices in my head are saying that as long as the headstay is being replaced, it might be the right time to update the furler too.

plus, not sure what is involved in disassembling the foil so that it can be assembled on a new headstay... I think I'd need to drill out a bunch of pop-rivets. When I had the boat trucked up I took off the drum and torsion tube, but left the foil intact on the headstay and lashed it to the mast.

I don't remember, but if there is a way to pull the foil off in one piece, slide it onto new wire and have the terminals swaged on, that might be an option.

BTW, that companionway hatch looks awesome! Nice job.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not really. It works. It's just that the voices in my head are saying that as long as the headstay is being replaced, it might be the right time to update the furler too.
Local rigger and a local sailmaker told us that, too. The (pragmatic) saying/sentiment was that most boats with a furler will probably never have their old headstay replaced until the boat sells or the owner dies.
And, never install a new furler over a used headstay.

Frank Langer

plus, not sure what is involved in disassembling the foil so that it can be assembled on a new headstay... I think I'd need to drill out a bunch of pop-rivets. When I had the boat trucked up I took off the drum and torsion tube, but left the foil intact on the headstay and lashed it to the mast.

I don't remember, but if there is a way to pull the foil off in one piece, slide it onto new wire and have the terminals swaged on, that might be an option.

BTW, that companionway hatch looks awesome! Nice job.
Bruce,
When I had my Headstay replaced at Blackline marine in Sidney, BC a few years ago, they had 2 guys undo the furler at the mast head (after adding a line to hold the mast up), undid it at the bow, slid the entire Harken furler off in one piece. They cut a new 9/32" Headstay same as the old one and installed it all in reverse order. The entire job took under three hours, cost me $680 Canadian dollars though they had quoted me $800. I was very pleased and impressed with their work.
Frank

Frank Langer

So, like US$500?

Sheesh, maybe I should rendezvous with your riggers this summer instead of the Ericson bunch!
Bruce,
Converting Canadian dollars to US it was about $592 US, but that was about 3 years ago, and on my E30+, likely a bit shorter headstay than yours.
You could come to the Ericson rendezvous and stop by Blackline marine on your way home to get this done. They are not that far from either Poets Cove or Maple Bay, though the latter is more on the way to Blackline. If you decide to do this, book them far in advance cause they have a good reputation and they get busy. I can't remember the rigger's name, but he told me he had been working there for 18 years--he was very methodical and competent, but that's based on my only experience there.
Frank

klb67pgh

Member III
I was quoted approximately $300 USD to replace my 5/32 forestay on my Ericson 25 masthead rig this spring. I have a Harken MK III furler, and the rigger is going to do a swaged fitting on 1 end and send me a Hayn Hi Mod fitting for me to install after I fish the new stay through the furler. My forestay is not original to 1978 but I do not know how old it is and it has a few kinks, so I decided to replace it. I don't have a rigger near me so this is the best option for me.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Top of my list.... Finishing up the worst project I've taken on yet with my boat--re-bedding all the starboard stanchion bases. Some require minor core repairs, others just the standard epoxy fill & drill, but all are in hard-to-access areas.

Like many projects, it's also required some new tools and new knowledge. I'm getting better at polishing stainless steel. I also paid a machinist to drill small drain holes in the bottom of each stanchion base.

20240129_210324.jpg 20240129_211631.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm getting better at polishing stainless steel
That's a small skill I learned while our boat was stripped for the repainting. The shop owner has a large compressor, long air hose, many fine grits of paper for the disk, and also an air powered buffer with several types of buffing compound. I polished all the pulpits, all stanchions, cabin top mast piece, bases plates of blocks, and every top of a flathead bolt.
After practice I was able to put a mirror finish on all.

What surprised me was the amount of "sanding" it took to reduce all the OEM "mill finish" SS to the point where I could start to buff with the progressively-finer compounds. Some weldments, like the bow and headstay fitting and those darned braced stanchion bases took a while. It was sure worth it though, IMHO.
The shroud bases were a bit tedious, too. :(
The best part is, the closer you get to a mirror finish, the harder it is for rust-staining to start.
Worthy effort, sez me.
:egrin:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
So, like US$500?

Sheesh, maybe I should rendezvous with your riggers this summer instead of the Ericson bunch!
$600 US installed sounds like a pretty good deal. For the DIY approach this is what it cost me last spring for a replacement 30+ forestay from Rigging Only:
Image 2-5-24 at 3.02 PM.jpeg

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
I’d back up the recommendation of Blackline for anyone in the area. We had work done there last spring and they were great.

This spring‘s list is centered around designing and installing a new electrical system, but with other small side projects like interior wood refinishing, stanchion rebedding, and seeing if I can get a chafe sleeve on my jib halyard without making it bind up as we haven’t been able to find anything sharp or misaligned that’s causing the chafe.