Three Bridge Fiasco

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Here's this years sign up for the Three Bridge Fiasco Race happening this Saturday 01/27/2024. 275 Boats and registration is still open for a few more days. The race has three marks with the start/finish near the St. Frances Yacht Club (green line on my map). The marks (red circles) are Blackaller Bouy (near the Golden Gate Bridge), Red Rock (San Rafael/Richmond Bridge) and Treasure Island (The Bay Bridge). All boats are single or double-handed. Winds are usually light, currents strong, and you choose the order to round the marks! Hard to believe this is fun - but it is. It is a long race and if (IF) you finish you will likely be doing it in the dark.

3bridge-1.jpg

3bridge-2.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have heard about this "race" for many years, and if living in the Bay area would enter... At least .... once...
:D
Focusing on that huge list makes my eyes hurt, so how many Olson's and Ericson's are there??

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Grant, How many miles is it, roughly? Which side of the line do they usually start on? I'm trying to imagine what I'd do if the race started on the west side but I wanted to do Blackaller first. Is there a conventional wisdom on the order in which to do the marks or does it depend on wind, tide, etc? We now have a copycat version here in RI/MA in early May. It's a lot of fun. We won't have our boat ready for it, but I hope to do it on a friend's J/105. Another three months to wait for our sailing season to start, though. Cheers, Jeff

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I know of at least 2 other Olson 911s and a Capo 30 entered. Also Rumour (32-2 or 3) Vanilladuck from this site. The SI will have the start times and boats by PHRF, size and model on Thursday.
I know folks who have entered this race at least 8 times and have never finished. I think it's one of those races that people love to do every year regardless of finishing or doing well.
I love the boat names. The Moore 24 fleet, Wabbits, and Ultimate 20s are very cleaverly named.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Grant, How many miles is it, roughly? Which side of the line do they usually start on? I'm trying to imagine what I'd do if the race started on the west side but I wanted to do Blackaller first. Is there a conventional wisdom on the order in which to do the marks or does it depend on wind, tide, etc? We now have a copycat version here in RI/MA in early May. It's a lot of fun. We won't have our boat ready for it, but I hope to do it on a friend's J/105. Another three months to wait for our sailing season to start, though. Cheers, Jeff
I am really not sure of the number of miles (a little over 20 I think?). Your question about the start is a good one! Most people start heading West to Blackaller first because it is about 20-30 minutes from the start for most boats. However, this year there is a flood at start time. I expect people will hug the shore line for current relief. It's going to get crowded! Conventional wisdom? Hmmm... they call this race a fiasco for good reason. I think the most sound advice I have heard is to get to Red Rock before the ebb and ride the ebb back if you can. The wind is unpredictable this time of year. The mornings usually has less wind than the afternoon - but not always. I would love to hear about the RI/MA race! Hope things thaw out for you soon.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
I am really not sure of the number of miles (a little over 20 I think?). Your question about the start is a good one! Most people start heading West to Blackaller first because it is about 20-30 minutes from the start for most boats. However, this year there is a flood at start time. I expect people will hug the shore line for current relief. It's going to get crowded! Conventional wisdom? Hmmm... they call this race a fiasco for good reason. I think the most sound advice I have heard is to get to Red Rock before the ebb and ride the ebb back if you can. The wind is unpredictable this time of year. The mornings usually has less wind than the afternoon - but not always. I would love to hear about the RI/MA race! Hope things thaw out for you soon.

The most recent article I could find is on the 2021 race. It's put on by the Twenty Hundred Club which is a clubhouse-less group that mostly sponsors weekend races. I was actually on Blitz for this race, shown in the second photo of the article. I don't think there's a crew size stipulation. One thing we have in our favor is longer daylight. Is there a cutoff finish time on your race? My son lives in Alameda and did your race last year, though, as I recall, they lost wind and retired.