Source for flannel backed vinyl headliner material?

markvone

Sustaining Member
I searched the site but didn't find anything.

IMG_1426.jpg

I'll provide a source for the matching beige YKK #5 coil zipper pulls in trade! :)

Mark

markvone

Sustaining Member
Thanks Christian!

I knew I had seen something similar somewhere but I couldn't remember where. I think #100653, Nauga Soft Vinyl Cream might be the stuff. I'll get a sample to confirm. 95% of my headliner is in great shape, but I have a few holes to repair and I need to drop the area in the quarter berth to replace the main traveler track so I'm planning for possible mishaps with that job.

Thanks again,

Mark

markvone

Sustaining Member
Outdoor Wilderness Fabric

Here ya go:

http://www.owfinc.com/hardware.html

Under Zippers, Continuous Coil Sliders, about halfway down

Item # 5CLS Lg Hole, YKK Coil Locking ST Slider Lg hole in Biege 0.19 each

Buy a couple dozen to defray the $2.50 in S&H.

Just installed my first two this week. Once on, work like a charm.

Somebody here on the site found them before me.

Mark

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Vinyl Headliner Repair

Hi Respected Sailors

About 12 inches of our vinyl headliner has pulled away from the staples. We want to reattach and restaple but it is almost like the vinyl has shrunk and I can't get the material to stretch enough to go back to where it was previously stapled. Any tricks to this procedure? Maybe heat the vinyl with a hair dryer or heat gun? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Pat O'Connell
Chips 1981 E28+

\

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Respected Sailors

About 12 inches of our vinyl headliner has pulled away from the staples. We want to reattach and restaple but it is almost like the vinyl has shrunk and I can't get the material to stretch enough to go back to where it was previously stapled. Any tricks to this procedure? Maybe heat the vinyl with a hair dryer or heat gun? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Pat O'Connell
Chips 1981 E28+

I have had to remove areas of stapled edge, up to about two feet in length. This was needed to access the under side of the cabin top to replace some hardware backing, and enlarge a light fixture base. It helps to do the reinstall in warm temperatures. I found that avoiding puckers was the hard part. Working only from one end was a bad idea. Better was to try and keep the restored attachment part even and pull and drive staples every six inches or so, and then fill in between those staples. I ended up with almost no puckers... And the teak batten did cover almost every new staple...
Kind of Fiddly work!

Loren

Glyn Judson

You can do it but it might be a stretch.

Pat, The advantage the factory installers had was that they used slightly more material to grab onto and cut off the excess afterwards. You and I don't have that luxury but that doesn't mean it's impossible. Buy or borrow (good luck on that one) an upholsterers staple gun filled with stainless steel staples. There might be electric ones but I'm only familiar with pneumatic ones which means bringing along a small compressor and hose. Study the old staple hole patterns in the edge of the vinyl and look for the corresponding staple remains until you can find a match. Use a pair of pliers to deftly stretch the headliner and match the holes with the staple remains and shoot a new staple close by. Progressively work your way along starting at one end until you're done. The trick is to stretch the vinyl only enough to match the old holes, thereby avoiding creating wrinkles from stretching too far. Why the special stapler you might wonder, it's duck billed and able to get into a tight corner far more easily than a conventional hand stapler. Here's a link to a nice affordable used one listed on eBay:161744116451 Copy and paste that number into the eBay search box and the listing will pop up. You CAN do it just don't rush it. Good luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Vinyl Staple Repair

Hi Respected Sailors

Thanks very much for the feedback! I have a pair of needle nose pliers with a right angle in the neck. I bet the hardware store manage that I sold to for 25 years will help me out with a loaner gun and compressor. Now I know a proven repair technic. It will be a challenge but it is a (34) year old boat and has held up well. The haulers said this year "the boat looks good." I said "the boat is getting old." The hauler said "it is a good fit, eh?"
Best Regards

Pat O'Connell
1981 Ericson 28+ Chips