SoCal Tropical Storm

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, I wrapped the sail cover and did the usual preps. But not much is really expected here on the LA coast, where at 3 p.m sunday occasional heavy showers and light gusts began to develop.

Issue for the Southwest is flooding, as in Palm Springs CA, where the desert floor is hard as a rock. Not sand as we know it, but a surface that absorbs hardly at all.

Yacht clubs put out stern warnings and Catalina emptied, but prediction errs on the dire side.

Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
It was pretty much a nothing burger by me (in La Mirada, just up the freeway from Disneyland). From the reports I read, I guess Palm Springs got nailed. I'll be heading down to my boat later today to take care of a few things, but expect to find that all is well. The wind sensor at Los Angeles Light showed one gust at 28 kts. at about 2 am, but otherwise the windspeeds during this storm never got much above 20 there.

paul culver

Member III
Bit of a nothing burger for Encinitas as well (north San Diego county coastal). Friday's forecast for the coming storm was for 2.7 inches, which slipped to 2 inches by Saturday and finished out at 1.7 inches by the storm's conclusion on Sunday. Definitely appreciated for watering the plants. Much more rain in the mountains though.