Slipping

rootsey333

Member II
:confused: Hi
I intend to slip my E38-200 for antifouling on Monday 13th July for the first time, the slipway consists of a railway carriage with a structure that moves in sideways and provides horizontal support across the beam but no longitudinal support forward or aft, my yacht has the long shark fin type "keel" that draws about 2 meters and finishes about 2 feet in length at the bottom from front to back, will the keel take the weight of the yacht OK and will it be balanced longitudinally as it slides up the ramp.
Any info will be gratefully received,
Bruce

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Rootsey,

You doing all this yourself, or is it an experienced yard?

My experience with marine railways, long ago, was that numerous supports were required, and there was a lot of swimming. Once our 33-foot boat tipped over and a crane had to save the day.

Professionals needed, if possible.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Bruce,
Until some E-38 owners check in, I can say that my prior 26 footer stood on its Petersen-shape fin keel without problem, and our current boat stands (with lots of props under the hull so it will not fall over) on its rather slender eliptical fin keel.

An experienced railway operator will have a prop under the bow, also. Most sailboats will fall forward otherwise.

I would guess that the weight on the keel will not harm your boat.
First hand info from the other E-38 owners is really what is needed, tho.

Loren

Last edited: