Shaft log cracked. What to do?

JPS27

Member III
Ok. This spring is turning into a nightmare as evidenced by several simultaneous threads I've posted. If I get my terms wrong please correct me. Today's task had been to inspect the shaft log hose I used to see if I could find a couple of eighths of an inch to make getting the key into the keyway easier. I thought I may have cut the new hose a tad longer. Anyway...

I knew that my alignment issue had slight wallowed out the bottom of the shaft log (or is it a stern tube). It appears to be fiberglass type material. Apparently, when I have tightened down the new hose the tube cracked at the bottom. There's not much tube length to begin with. There is a small chip out and a crack. I've scoured the internet for ideas. I haven't found any videos or explanations that really help. But I am hoping, perhaps misguidedly so, that my local fiberglass guy can help me patch it up without major major surgery. If I have to take out my engine that I just put back in, I'm going to be guite bummed.

Any ideas? I saw mentions of fixes short of replacing the tube. But didn't know if these are advisable. Thanks.

JSM

Member III
Had to pull our new to us E34 two seasons back because of this exact problem and was able to successfully repair it with fiberglass cloth and epoxy. I wrapped the outside of the tube with a piece of thin flexible plastic that I coated with car wax and held in place with hose clamps to maintain the shape and outside diameter of the stern tube so that the stuffing box hose can go back on.
Next sand and clean the interior of the tube as best you can and lay in strips of epoxy soaked glass cloth. I had to lay in a couple of layers and re sand to build up the bottom of the tube that had been worn away by the shaft. My tube is still ovaled out but the repair has held up quite well for the last two years.
Here's a link to my ordeal.
Sent you a PM with my phone number.Call me if you need help.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?14036-E34-Shaft-Log-Leak&highlight=