Replacing the teak without removing the old

36C Hull 53

I have read endless posts that discuss the process of replacing teak decking and in all cases it seems to start with removal of the old decking.

The deck I am dealing with is the original from 1978 on a 36 Cruising. Nearly every screw head is now exposed with the heads sitting at or above the level of the wood. I suspect there is only about a 1/4 of teak left in most places?

To add insult to injury, a previous owner at some point decided to put on a thick coat of varnish everywhere.

My question for the forum is, is there any other solution then ripping up all the old teak, dealing with all the resulting screw holes and then replacing?

Is it possible to somehow seal the old stuff and just put new stuff on top of it? I suspect the answer is "no" :-(

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Remember that one main reason for removal of the old fastenings is to permanently epoxy in those old holes that penetrate into the deck coring.
If it were me, I would remove all of the worn out teak and all fastenings, and create a new non-skid deck.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm with Loren. At least the 36C has limited decks, given its raised deck. A Baltic 40 near me is a much larger nightmare of worn-out teak decks, which are unspeakably expensive to replace.

I do think you could remove the teak yourself if so inclined.

Last edited:

TAPH2O

Member II
My daughter has one without teak decking. I think there are at least three here in the Portland area.
no teak decking though.41D01228-A9DE-449A-A804-A599F5DD91B5.jpeg