Refit after Hawaii Cruise--and "Hey, Why no Dodger?"

Parrothead

Member III
Every party has a pooper . . .
A single sheet eliminates the option of an end for end swap. Of course it could be cut into two individual sheets down the road if its condition indicated the need.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Every party has a pooper . . .
A single sheet eliminates the option of an end for end swap. Of course it could be cut into two individual sheets down the road if its condition indicated the need.
Or, 'fate' steps in. Some years ago on a windy beat to weather down our rather confined river channel, we found that we could not tack the boat one day. Had a full-on override on one primary. Wind about 18 kts with the 135 genny. Shore coming up fast.
I crawled up the side deck with a serrated knife and barely touched (it seemed like) the line by the clew. "Bang!" and it parted instantly.
After that my beloved "larks head" knot was history and ever since we have two sheets with bowlines.

After we docked at the day's finish of the cruising race, a friend came over to tell me he guessed what had happened, even tho he was on the other side of the river.
The sound was just like a rifle shot. Kind of loud, too. :)

One of these days, when I get a "round tu-it" I shall buy another full length ($$) sheet.......
:egrin:

p.gazibara

Member III
I think I may be a party pooper as welI. I like having separate lines for my sheets, makes it much easier when running through different blocks (inboard vs outboard), and sail changes are also much easier. Untieing the lee sheet, rerunning, retieing, tacking and doing the same to the other side. Maybe it’s because we have very inboard shrouds on our rig, but I typically don’t have knot hang up issues on rigging. Being electric we sail everywhere and have tacked thousands of times. Most common hangup is the sheet caught on forward cleat, a single sheet wouldn’t help there.

Also, we are huge fans of the dodger. It’s a bit restrictive when moving forward/racing but our boats are wet rides, especially if the swell is larger than 2m. We sailed from Samara, CR to Puntarenas, CR without our dodger (en route to get the new on fitted) and just got soaked. We were hove to for about an hour through a couple of squalls (dumping rain) and realized how much we missed having the dodger. Then again, I can see the bow easily from the helm as we are tiller steered and the helm position is forward in the protection of the dodger (with both main and jib sheets in arms reach) and not hung off the transom like the wheel steered boats.

I have probably seen thousands of gallons of water wash over our decks, we have filled the cockpit like a bathtub more times than I can count when our stern wave meet following seas just right (it takes a full minute before the water completely drains, open transoms are nice for that). We now put the hatch board in when the seas build to 2m from behind. Weather clothes would probably be nice.

In the end, it depends on what you are doing with these boats, and how much comfort is required.

Switchtack

My number 1 reason why I would want a dodger has to do when at anchor. It's one thing to have the wind in your hair while sailing, but at anchor I want to be able to hang out in the cockpit and be nice and warm and out of the breeze. Without it you end up down below if it gets windy. My number 2 reason is why they call it a spray hood.

p.gazibara

Member III
Paco, you change headsails frequently? Do you have roller furling?
When I bought Cinderella she came with 12 sails. So I used to change headsails quite often. Especially in the inconsistent PNW wind. Now that we are cruising, we have installed a furler, so not as many sail changes.

We had a harken tuff luff track. Procedure was: hoist new sail in second track while underway. Untie lee sheet and tie to new sail. Tack, drop old sail to the deck (the new sail guides the old one down). Untie the lazy sheet and retie to new sail. Carry on without ever slowing down.

We did change between inner upwind blocks to rail mounted downwind blocks quite often while cruising to help the jib draw nicely. For that it is also helpful to be able to untie the lazy sheet easily, rerun, retie, tack, do the same to the other side.

From the sounds of it, my inline spreaders solve most of the hang up issues (no fore and aft lowers) you guys are seeing. So maybe that’s why I don’t really bother with a continuous sheet.

I did a delivery once of a Dufour 28 with a single continuous jib sheet. Ended up needing to move blocks around and couldn’t do it without taking the sail down. Very annoying, enough reason for me to say away from a continuous sheet. Maybe if the continuous sheet had two separate attachment points to the clew that would solve the issue.

-P

Last edited: