Reefing Magic

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Because the Admiral doesn't enjoy anything much beyond 5 degrees of heeling, I have been persuaded to reef at around 13 kts. When sailing around the bay, I have found myself hoping none of my sailing buddies on their boats see me reefing so early. I mean, come on, who wants to look like a weenie?

The funny thing about this is that even with that reef in the mainsail, our boat routinely slices along at 6 to 6.5 kts. In other words, I'm not losing any speed. Add to that a happy wife.

Last week we sailed offshore for a 20 hour trip down the coast to Panama City. The NOAA forecast was for SSW winds 7-9 kts. with us heading on a broad reach. I thought we'd be lucky if we could maintain 4 kts along the way.
Once we got in open water, the winds were running 17 kts. Our Ericson was flying along at over 6 knots in choppy seas. However, that speed would put as at the outer marker at 4:30 am. We wanted to arrive with daylight to navigate in the pass. Delightful but too fast so I put a second reef in then eventually dropped it all together. Still moving too fast, I altered our course to eat up time.

Half way through our trip we learned on the VHF that the GICW was closed from the 22" of rain we had blocking our intended route home so we decided to turn around and reschedule the trip for a better time.

Now beating on a close reach for the estimated 8 hour night trip back, the wind had now picked up to 18-20 knots. Again the Admiral asked for minimal heeling so I put in the second reef.

I was amazed at how fast the boat sailed and even more impressed at how kindly our hull treated us in the now rough seaway.

When she asks me to reef it still makes me feel like I'm riding an old Briggs and Stratton mini bike with the governor on, but this boat reminds me that it's not all about looking cool.
Rick

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Bravo--and hat's off to a spouse who enjoys night watches.

Personally, I feel reefing makes me look smart and experienced, keeps me in practice, and looks good. True, there can be sneers from people on their ear with fenders trailing over the side.

What are you doing with the genoa under these circumstances? Our model boat has only about 200 square foot mainsails, the genny is bigger.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I reefed the 135 Genoa a little (10%) when I put the second reef in the main. The boat was very balanced.

Last edited: