PSS dripless shaft seal vent hose

oldfauser

Member III
I found an unused thru hull above the waterline in the transom; manual says it's for the propane tank vent - we don't have a propane tank installed so the elbow was sealed.

Question: can I connect the vent hose from the PSS dripless stuffing box to the vent in the transom???

Also, what hose to use?

Bolo

Contributing Partner
No need

I found an unused thru hull above the waterline in the transom; manual says it's for the propane tank vent - we don't have a propane tank installed so the elbow was sealed.

Question: can I connect the vent hose from the PSS dripless stuffing box to the vent in the transom???

Also, what hose to use?

I have a PSS dripless stuffing box on my 32-3 and I just attached the clear tube that came with it to the bottom of the bridge deck just behind the engine. This keeps it above the water line. Never had any water come out of it and if some did then it would either evaporate or find its way to the bilge. We have a propane tank so we use that through hull. The hose is clear see thru tubing of a size that will fit over the fitting on the stuffing box.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Seals and Hoses

Our PSS shaft seal dates to 1995. Before getting too excited about the routing of the little burp hose, recall that this feature was added after that by the company's concerned attorney and not an engineer.
Originally they marketed the system in two versions -- with and without the vent hose. The one without the hose was intended for boats that would stay under 12 kts under power. Over that speed, the water in the shaft alley would likely get sucked out and the required meniscus of water against the carbon donut would be lost.
:0
They decided that there was some potential liability if one of the "low speed" versions was resold or improperly marketed to a customer with a speed boat. It was also a bit cheaper to consolidate the product line and have one version.

I spoke to one their reps at the Seattle Boat Show many years ago and he agreed with my surmise, but stuck to 'yes' and 'no' answers and preferred not to state it in plane words.
Sometimes, living in a rather litigious society has disadvantages. In this case no harm except that some questions may arise about the product installation in a displacement hull like all of our boats.

I would just vent it somewhere way above the DWL. Note that the little tube is kind of a fragile potential entry for outside water into your hull if it breaks or pulls loose. That's the only possibility that would concern me. I like having the PSS seal and really like having a dry bilge, but if starting over I would be very cautious about the tubing install -- probably using reinforced tubing. Perhaps even checking into replacing the factory nipple with ss, maybe. Perhaps...

All in all, perhaps more proof of the old adage about every solution containing a (potential) new problem. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bolo

Contributing Partner
The last thing I need is another plastic bottle, small tank, whatever to have to check now and then. To be honest, I do look at the vent hose (along with a lot of the things) whenever I'm nosing around the engine compartment for whatever reason. I've never even seen a drop of liquid near the top or around the vent hose. Should this be filed under "Much to do about nothing?" :confused:

oldfauser

Member III
so I called PYI...

I called today to ask the question - they had no issue with routing the vent hose to the transom thru hull fitting, even though it will go under water at times. The main reason for the vent is to be sure there is no air in the seal. I'm using 3/8 ID fuel line for the hose....

:egrin: