Propane locker's overboard drains blocked by water

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi,
I replaced the two locker drain lines this past week and found that there apparently is no way to avoid a low spot in the 1/2" lines on either side, unless the system configuration is changed in some way. I found water in both the old vinyl lines, which were a convenient length to get onto the two thru-hulls. Shortening the new line to the minimum, I could not avoid creating a low spot for some water to be trapped. My feeling is that water sitting in the lines, if they are fully blocked, will prevent propane from escaping and a serious leak will spill into the cockpit and eventually into the cabin. Does anyone know if a locker full of propane will be heavy enough to push a few ounces of water out of the drain?

The boat has the twin lockers (10 lb. bottles), one on either side of the aft lazarette seat.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Blocked propane vent hose.

Craig & Ellen, I too had the same problem with our boat after incorrectly installing a small mushroom fitting too high on the hull. By testing the hose with water in it, I found that I'd been too high by several inches. Assuming that you have the room to install lower ones, I can't see any other solution. Please see the attached image of the old and new bronze fittings in the only image I could find of them. The upper of the three in line is the upper propane locker vent hose while the middle one is the original and now terminated lower vent and the bottom one is the now in use lower propane locker vent. Hope this helps, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA Hull #55, Bayer commercial.jpg

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Glyn,
Shame about the miscalculation on your vent location after the work it takes to drill and install a nice fitting. I have some room to go lower with a new thru-hull location (both sides) and that might be the best solution. The outlet location is under the overhang of the stern, near the engine exhaust. They are white plastic thru-hull fittings and they are still quite sturdy, so I might be able to re-use them if they are actually in good shape.

But first I can use colored water to see if the drains actually are completely blocked by water with the shorter hoses. Or, maybe an elbow under the locker pointed in the direction of the thru-hull might work. I may also mock up a configuration to add a thru-hull coming out of the side of the locker as low as possible and tee it into the existing hull location. Fortunately the access isn't too difficult.

Thanks!

P.S. Beautiful ship!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"You oughta be in pictures" as the song went......

Glyn,
What's the story with the video shoot apparently happening when that picture was taken?
:egrin:

Loren

Glyn Judson

Our boat in the movies....sort of.

Loren, The Dawn Treader has been used in two or three industrial films and then the one you are asking about. The latter was for a Bayer Medical Products digital blood sugar meter involving a couple standing on the foredeck of our boat chatting about something or other. I got a chunk of money for the use of our boat and was paid as an "expert", essentially the boat driver. Money that I would never have seen but for the Bayer ad, that primarily went as a donation to Guide Dogs of America in the form of raffle tickets for a new GDA silk screened and laser etched Harley Davidson, and a dog themed patchwork quilt that the local tatting society provides each year to GDA. I stuffed both pickle barrels but only won the blanket and struck out on the Harley at which I was greatly relieved. Heck, had I won that machine, I'd probably have been rushed to a local hospital by merely standing near it to have my photo taken given my inability to ride one, coupled with my fear of and disinterest in learning how. Cheers, Glyn

Glyn Judson

Propane vent fittings.

Craig, The second of your photos suggests that another pair of through hull fittings could be located directly beneath the tank vent fittings. That would in fact, raise them and provide a pretty much straight, vertical hose connection thereby avoiding any chance of low spot. Can that work for you? Glyn

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Craig, The second of your photos suggests that another pair of through hull fittings could be located directly beneath the tank vent fittings. That would in fact, raise them and provide a pretty much straight, vertical hose connection thereby avoiding any chance of low spot. Can that work for you? Glyn

Hi Glyn,
That could definitely work if I could figure out how to get a hose on it. I didn't have a chance to mock up anything today.