Portland Or mechanic

Drewrt

Member I
Does anyone know a good mechanic in the Portland Oregon area?
I have a 20 hp Yanmar that won't start
I was trying to figure out what was wrong and thought I would complicate the situation by having a Stroke!
So I'm looking for someone who can figure out what I have done and get her ready for the spring.
Any suggestions

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As a plumber, you probably know how difficult it is to find young people to work in the "trades".... and yacht maintenance and diesel work is a field even more overlooked than the construction trades.
20 years ago, we had a highly experienced diesel mechanic member in our club. Wow, were we spoiled! He is long retired, and now members are contacting Cook Engine, or Schooner Creek BY or even Rocky Pointe BY for help. Appointments are scheduled out quite a ways, too.

My carpenter and contractor friends are vexed by this lack of young people coming in. The irony is that this work pays a lot better than the usual "white collar" work. Lots Better.
I wish I had an answer for you. :confused:
Please post any positive results.
Loren

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
It might be worth buying a book like Nigel Calder's Boat Owners Mechanical and Electrical Manual which I consider the best for guidance on maintaining and trouble shooting problems.
There are lots of simple things you can try to get it started, like replacing fuel filters, cleaning battery posts and all electrical connections between battery and start button on the engine panel, replacing the trailer connections with bus bar if you still have those, bleeding the engine, etc. All of these are quite easy, things a boat owner should know how to do to solve problems while cruising when no mechanic is available. And this might save you a lot of money. Just a thought...
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I was trying to figure out what was wrong and thought I would complicate the situation by having a Stroke!
Wow.... Hope you are recovering OK!
Both you and your Ericson seem to have needed some diagnostic work! :oops:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Drew, why don't you start a thread called "20HP Yanmar won;t start" and see if the experts here can help.

As Loren says, that's what most of us do. If you describe the symptoms, the responses may be helpful. At least it's a head start before finding a diesel mechanic.