Pondering a "Mast Gate" for our boat

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Has anyone installed one of these on their O-34, or similar EY rig with the Kenyon spar?
Our slider loading opening is double cut/carved. I have confirmed that with the lower slugs down to the gooseneck, the reefing floppy rings will fit onto the horns, so I should be able to close the slot and store the main all the way down also.
The site for https://mastgates.com lists our O-34 as one of the many models that they have provided a solution for.
Our mast profile appears to be listed as the Kenyon D1.

After years of frustration with dropping the slugs out, carefully, for a reef, I need to improve this 'process'. As you all know, it's easy to set up the reef at the dock, but that is not always where the squalls occur.... ! :(
And then, feeding the slugs back in is tedious, too.

Anyhow, as always, comments appreciated.
Thanks,
Loren

peaman

Sustaining Member
It seems like it would be much easier to have a dog bone ("reefing floppy rings"?) of suitable length to reach the horns rather than to need to open the gate. Or did I mis-understand the problem? I hand-stitched dog bones through the reef cringes of an older sail I have, and found that to work well.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It seems like it would be much easier to have a dog bone ("reefing floppy rings"?) of suitable length to reach the horns rather than to need to open the gate. Or did I mis-understand the problem? I hand-stitched dog bones through the reef cringes of an older sail I have, and found that to work well.
In theory you could extend the length of the floppy ring attachments by about a foot. I would rather have the reef tack down where it really belongs. So your suggestion is a plan B, but I would rather keep that idea in reserve. Thanks tho.