PNW Rendezvous Summer 2024

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The local YC has reciprocal moorage, or at least they have in the past. Something to keep in mind; check with them to see.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Thanks Frank. 50ft slips come at a premium and while completely doable...covers a few drinks at the pub! We have a aluminum floored dinghy on davits with a 15 horse...so heading into the bay shouldn't be an issue. Will look at the map to see what you are referencing. Would be nice to meet up again...I still have a few shirts and I believe a Viking hat too. I think alumni are allowed to attend it properly attired lol.
Yes, the cost of moorage for a 50 footer would buy a round of drinks for everyone attending the rendezvous, well almost. :)
Of course you would be welcome, even without the attire, but that would certainly guarantee you would be held in good standing! :)
Your options for anchoring might be a bit better if you could arrive a day earlier, ie. Thursday, as that area gets busier over every weekend.
Loren's comment about reciprocal moorage might work, as the Maple Bay Yacht club is only a short distance (about a 10 minute walk) up the bay. However, they do not take reservations for reciprocal, only first come first served, so it's a bit risky, but again better if you arrived Thursday.
Frank

Jamiem

Member II
We are really looking forward to seeing everyone there this summer … it helps breakup the winter winds , snow and cold prairie days. Jamie and Lilith crew

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FYI: the local yacht club that has a reciprocal dock appears to have raised their minimum insurance requirement again.
Now it's three million dollars. That would add a premium cost increase onto our policy.
A few years ago it was odd to see it listed as a million when no one else demanded such a document.
(I imagine that this keeps the Riff-Raff out... ! Message received.) :rolleyes:

Oh Well. The Maple Bay Marina where the rendezvous will be held now shows pix of new / replacement docks. :D
We look forward to another fun experience, but it's a shame that the local yacht club became so snooty, tho.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Loren,
The government recently raised the maximum for liability claims to about $2,250,000, and then adding court costs and legal fees, the cost of a claim could approach $3 million. So you'll find many marinas raising their requirement to cover that. I renewed my coverage to that earlier this year, after checking with my long term agent. So I don't think the local club is being "snooty" or limiting boaters, they're just being cautious consistent with the recent changes.
Frank