Newbie looking at E32-3 cutter rig

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I don’t have them handy, and the sail is in storage. I’ll get the measurements, but it may be a while before I can get it done.
Thanks. If interested in selling it, I may be interested if it’s a bit bigger than mine (which was designed as a slightly oversized storm jib). Thanks.

windblown

Member III
I’ve given a lot of thought to the recent comments here about the 32-3 cutter rig. The inner forestay on our boat was part of the original commissioning (per the invoice that we have), though apparently it was a local boat dealer add-on, not an Ericson option, as I had previously thought. It is secured to the foredeck, where it has been for the last 39 years, but it has never been reinforced with a bulkhead or hardware “bracing stay” in the v-berth below. We also do not have running back stays. Though we have a hank-on staysail in very good condition, we’ll be decommissioning the inner forestay this season.
I owe you at least 2 cents, Loren.
Just one more comment. I found a receipt for running backstays buried in the paperwork. Wonder what happened to them?

Pete the Cat

Member III
Just one more comment. I found a receipt for running backstays buried in the paperwork. Wonder what happened to them?
As I am sure you are aware, there is a danger of using the staysail without running backstays engaged properly--if your mast is as thin as mine. I am wondering if the PO figured out that it would be a major PIA and never used them. I can see the sense in a staysail on a 40'+ cruiser making a round the world voyage where you have little idea of the weather coming and will be on one tack for days at time. But on a light recreational day sailer and coastal cruiser--it really seems like the result of having read too many ancient voyager books from the last century. I am not sure what the current crop of round the buoy racers with fractional rigs are doing these days, but in my crewing days 40 years ago, the running backs seemed a huge distraction in short races on SF Bay.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Apropos of nothing... .I'd be really interested in a copy of the receipt, if it's from the original factory order/commissioning. My boat is 8 hulls before yours, so it'd probably be a pretty good reference for how my boat was delivered.

Bruce

windblown

Member III
As I am sure you are aware, there is a danger of using the staysail without running backstays engaged properly--if your mast is as thin as mine. I am wondering if the PO figured out that it would be a major PIA and never used them. I can see the sense in a staysail on a 40'+ cruiser making a round the world voyage where you have little idea of the weather coming and will be on one tack for days at time. But on a light recreational day sailer and coastal cruiser--it really seems like the result of having read too many ancient voyager books from the last century. I am not sure what the current crop of round the buoy racers with fractional rigs are doing these days, but in my crewing days 40 years ago, the running backs seemed a huge distraction in short races on SF Bay.
Your analysis may be right on, Pete. I am just learning about running backstays, thanks to this forum. The boat started out on Lake Erie, where the weather can shift very quickly from doldrums to waterspouts with little warning. Because Erie is pretty shallow, the waves build fast with short intervals, making a surprise squall rather exciting. Perhaps that was what motivated the original owner? He had the boat for 20+ years. The second owner loved the boat, but we've come to the conclusion that he mostly enjoyed it at the dock.

windblown

Member III
Apropos of nothing... .I'd be really interested in a copy of the receipt, if it's from the original factory order/commissioning. My boat is 8 hulls before yours, so it'd probably be a pretty good reference for how my boat was delivered.

Bruce
Here you go, Bruce. I'm sending more than you asked for. Our boat, #612, was featured at the Cedar Point Boat Show in the fall of 1984, so in the attached file, I've included the promo sheet that lists a couple of Ericson 30's, a 35, and a 38, with their Boat Show pricing. Next you'll find the original purchase agreement from 10/84, along with subsequent amendments to the agreement. File 2 includes work orders for commissioning, bottom/barrier work, sail price list, and the receipt for the running backstays (actually from 1987, not 1985 when the boat was first delivered). Happy reading! If there are any other docs from 1985 32-3's you might be looking for, it's quite possible that I have it somewhere.

Attachments

• Tradewinds Invoices 1.pdf
    994.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Tradewinds Invoices 2.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

JohnW

The adventure begins. I officially took ownership of the E32-3 yesterday. Well, sort of. USCG Certificate of Documentation won't arrive for a few month due to backlog and I am still waiting for the marina to process the slip transfer. Sitting alone in the cabin felt a little surreal.

I am definitely a Christian Williams convert. Being a newbie I've consumed my fair bit of youtube sailing channels. Of the videos I watched, a lot of them are interesting, and I learned a lot, but none resonated like Christian's channel. The first video I watched was Christian's 2014 "Alone Together" and I was immediately hooked. I thought, wow, in 20~30 years I hope I am as physically and mentally tough as Christian. Through the various links on Christian's video I found my way to the Ericson Forum and discover its treasure trove of essential Ericson knowledge.

So, thanks everyone for helping a newbie like myself begin my sailing journey with the Ericson 32-3.

windblown

Member III
The adventure begins. I officially took ownership of the E32-3 yesterday. Well, sort of. USCG Certificate of Documentation won't arrive for a few month due to backlog and I am still waiting for the marina to process the slip transfer. Sitting alone in the cabin felt a little surreal.

I am definitely a Christian Williams convert. Being a newbie I've consumed my fair bit of youtube sailing channels. Of the videos I watched, a lot of them are interesting, and I learned a lot, but none resonated like Christian's channel. The first video I watched was Christian's 2014 "Alone Together" and I was immediately hooked. I thought, wow, in 20~30 years I hope I am as physically and mentally tough as Christian. Through the various links on Christian's video I found my way to the Ericson Forum and discover its treasure trove of essential Ericson knowledge.

So, thanks everyone for helping a newbie like myself begin my sailing journey with the Ericson 32-3.
Congratulations, John! Welcome to the Viking fleet and the 32-3 community. My best advice: leave a note behind when you climb into the lazarette. . .