Looking at Ericson 32-2 and would like advice on common issues

Traveler7

Member II
Sad news to report. My financing for the boat fell through and due to no fault of the boat or the owner I will need to wait awhile until I can save enough for a boat. Thanks everyone, if you are in the market to upsize or downsize please consider this boat, she sails great!
Best wishes!

kapnkd

kapnkd
Sad news to report. My financing for the boat fell through and due to no fault of the boat or the owner I will need to wait awhile until I can save enough for a boat. Thanks everyone, if you are in the market to upsize or downsize please consider this boat, she sails great!
Best wishes!
Hang tight!…If it’s meant to be - it WILL happen!

At age 29 when buying our new ‘73 E-32, I had many MANY obstacles to overcome for the bank loan as well. …Be patient and persistent, it WILL happen if this is the right boat for you!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You might consider a partner. I had two successful partnerships. It splits the work and the dough and provides a fellow enthusiast. I know, pride of ownership and all that, but when money and time are short it can be unexpectedly the solution.

One cup of coffee with a potential partner reveals compatibility, a handwritten agreement is all you need (no lawyers).

kapnkd

kapnkd
You might consider a partner. I had two successful partnerships. It splits the work and the dough and provides a fellow enthusiast. I know, pride of ownership and all that, but when money and time are short it can be unexpectedly the solution.

One cup of coffee with a potential partner reveals compatibility, a handwritten agreement is all you need (no lawyers).
Matter of fact…I partnered originally with my parents. Dad preferred catamarans, my mom couldn’t even swim and (my then) wife wanted a house - NOT A BOAT!

I prevailed and overcame all of my obstacles. Our last name is Diehl, so the boats name naturally became “Big Diehl”. I worked hard and bought my parents share back. When my son “Cary” was 4 going on 5, I made him official half owner and renamed the boat “CaryOn” as I intend to have him do just that with her.

…Moral of the story, it’s a GOOD boat and has served us well for 50 years. Perhaps a bit larger with a bigger head would be better - BUT - she’s FAMILY with so many memories refreshed every time we step aboard.

You, like I did, are struggling to make it all happen. This ultimately will link and bond you even more to your boat - be it this one or another even better one.

Keep us posted! We’re all pulling for you!!!

Anzac

Member II
Sorry to hear this. What the others have said and the old saying - "There will always be another boat"

I know the 34-2 that I am looking at is way overpriced. So, I am keeping my options open.

Traveler7

Member II
Matter of fact…I partnered originally with my parents. Dad preferred catamarans, my mom couldn’t even swim and (my then) wife wanted a house - NOT A BOAT!

I prevailed and overcame all of my obstacles. Our last name is Diehl, so the boats name naturally became “Big Diehl”. I worked hard and bought my parents share back. When my son “Cary” was 4 going on 5, I made him official half owner and renamed the boat “CaryOn” as I intend to have him do just that with her.

…Moral of the story, it’s a GOOD boat and has served us well for 50 years. Perhaps a bit larger with a bigger head would be better - BUT - she’s FAMILY with so many memories refreshed every time we step aboard.

You, like I did, are struggling to make it all happen. This ultimately will link and bond you even more to your boat - be it this one or another even better one.

Keep us posted! We’re all pulling for you!!!
Thank you everyone here is so kind! If I get an Ericson I think it will need to be a 27. If anyone here knows of a one in Vancouver or Portland hit me up here. I may find a partner, but need a boat first and staying on it when I visit makes availability important. Also makes me want a boat with less work required below decks. Thanks again!

Traveler7

Member II

This is a good idea. When I find a boat I will look among the people I sail with. Would also be good for me to wait until I have my lessons and go out on some different boats- I may be putting the cart before the horse here...

Traveler7

Member II
Sorry to hear this. What the others have said and the old saying - "There will always be another boat"

I know the 34-2 that I am looking at is way overpriced. So, I am keeping my options open.
You could check out this 32-2. Would be easier for you to work on since you live there, I need to commute from Boise!

Anzac

Member II
You could check out this 32-2. Would be easier for you to work on since you live there, I need to commute from Boise!
Thanks. Check FB Marketplace and I think there are two E27's here in Portland and or Hood River. Those are nice little boats and might be just the thing.

I know Boise well, as I serviced semi-conductor systems at Micron and Zilog for years.

Traveler7

Member II
Hi to everyone who was so helpful to me... I have news to report... I purchased a very nice 1975 C&C 33 Mk1 and will be moving it to Portland (probably Hayden Bay Marina) this month. If it is ok with you all, I would still like to write in this Group. I still need friends for advice and knowledge and to hang out with for a beverage and I still want to see how others set their boats up.

First advice I need is I need an expert rigger to examine and tune the Rod Rigging on this boat. I don't want to sail her too much without this. It all looks immaculate, but I am unsure of the tensions and would rather not "wing it".

Anyway- I'm baaaaack!!!

Traveler7

Member II
Thanks. Check FB Marketplace and I think there are two E27's here in Portland and or Hood River. Those are nice little boats and might be just the thing.

I know Boise well, as I serviced semi-conductor systems at Micron and Zilog for years.
Ended up with a C&C 33 Mk1. Still looking for local sailors to hang out with though and advice on contractors. First one I need is someone who knows Rod Rigging so it can be tuned for this boat. Thanks for the connection!

Traveler7

Member II

Thanks, Captain... I have news to report... I purchased a very nice 1975 C&C 33 Mk1 and will be moving it to Portland (probably Hayden Bay Marina) this month. If it is ok with you all, I would still like to write in this Group. I still need friends for advice and knowledge and to hang out with for a beverage and I still want to see how others set their boats up.

First advice I need is I need an expert rigger to examine and tune the Rod Rigging on this boat. I don't want to sail her too much without this. It all looks immaculate, but I am unsure of the tensions and would rather not "wing it".

Anyway- I'm baaaaack!!!

kapnkd

kapnkd
Thanks, Captain... I have news to report... I purchased a very nice 1975 C&C 33 Mk1 and will be moving it to Portland (probably Hayden Bay Marina) this month. If it is ok with you all, I would still like to write in this Group. I still need friends for advice and knowledge and to hang out with for a beverage and I still want to see how others set their boats up.

Anyway- I'm baaaaack!!!
C&C is an excellent boat as well. Certainly we are all willing to still help as much as we can with any and all questions you may have.

Our advice may not be as precise as it is with the boats we’ve crawled into every nook and cranny of, but certainly may be of assistance regardless.

Traveler7

Member II
C&C is an excellent boat as well. Certainly we are all willing to still help as much as we can with any and all questions you may have.

Our advice may not be as precise as it is with the boats we’ve crawled into every nook and cranny of, but certainly may be of assistance regardless.
Thank you, rigging doctor is my first need!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

The only local well-qualified rigger that I know is Butch Bogan. (bbmarinepdx@gmail.com )
Worthless trivia: our first 'big' boat was our Niagara 26, with Navtec rod rigging. Inspecting it and replacing that material is very specialized work.

Did your survey give info about the last time this high-$ rig was renewed? What engine does the vessel have? A4 V-drive?

Congrats on becoming an owner!

I just located an undated review of that model. http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/reviews/rev33mki.htm

Last edited:

Traveler7

Member II
The only local well-qualified rigger that I know is Butch Bogan. (bbmarinepdx@gmail.com )
Worthless trivia: our first 'big' boat was our Niagara 26, with Navtec rod rigging. Inspecting it and replacing that material is very specialized work.

Did your survey give info about the last time this high-$ rig was renewed? What engine does the vessel have? A4 V-drive?

I just located an undated review of that model. http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/reviews/rev33mki.htm
Thanks, I think I have memorized that review!
No survey except by my Transpac with 20 year sailing experience brother...deck was solid everywhere- well cared for boat, just needs paint on the decks, some brightwork finishing if you don't like bleached teak and some below decks finishing. I just need a rigger who will set her up exactly, lowers seem loose to me, there is an adjustable backstay, and forestay is for hankon so easily inspected. Thanks for the contact info, I will write him today!

Traveler7

Member II
Thanks, I think I have memorized that review!
No survey except by my Transpac with 20 year sailing experience brother...deck was solid everywhere- well cared for boat, just needs paint on the decks, some brightwork finishing if you don't like bleached teak and some below decks finishing. I just need a rigger who will set her up exactly, lowers seem loose to me, there is an adjustable backstay, and forestay is for hankon so easily inspected. Thanks for the contact info, I will write him today!
The engine is a Thunderstruck 10Kw electric with 245 AH of AGM batteries in a series for 48 volts. I just purchased a 3500 watt gas generator for the deck to add auxiliary power for charging away from the marina. Diesel smell makes me sick so I needed either an outboard or electric powered boat.

Traveler7

Member II

I just located an undated review of that model. http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/reviews/rev33mk
The engine is a Thunderstruck 10Kw electric with 245 AH of AGM batteries in a series for 48 volts. I just purchased a 3500 watt gas generator for the deck to add auxiliary power for charging away from the marina. Diesel smell makes me sick so I needed either an outboard or electric powered boat.