Looking at an Ericson 35-3 next week

bertboyer

Member I
I'm heading down to the Bay area next week to look at an E35-3 that was listed on Craigs list by a member of this forum.

I stumbled across some more pictures from what I believe is the same boat, and those pictures can be seen here:

As some of you may remember, I looked at an E34 recently here in Portland (Pink Panther) and after visiting the boat and reading everyone's comments, I decided to continue my search. Another member posted the boat above (True Norse) and I am planning a visit to Benicia April 19th. I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions as to things to look at more closely or ask the owner about during my visit as I am still very new to sailing. Advice from members in my previous search were incredibly beneficial.

Thanks so much for everyone's time!

Bert

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Hi Bert,
These are some threads back from the early days of purchasing our 35-3. Perhaps they will be of help. If you have any particular questions, feel free to ask me here or by 'conversation'.

Based on our experience and that of others in this forum, it seems like a number of 35-3's have had to have wobbly struts repaired, rebuilt, replaced. You should probably have some special attention given to that if the boat is out of the water, or if you get as far as a short-haul.

Best, Jeff

Ward Coffey

While you’re down in the Bay Area you may want to have a look at this boat for comparison.

bertboyer

Member I
All,

It looks like 'True Norse' has a buyer, so my visit to the Bay area is now focused on another 35-3 that Ward told me about. I found one more detailed listing on boats.com and just a couple days ago it appeared on Yachtworld. Links follow.

I think the pictures and write-up are basically the same. I have spoken to the owner and will fly down tomorrow to view the boat Sunday. Seems promising to me and I'm seriously interested. I reached out to a few of you on EY.o to chat about the boat and received helpful advice. Thank you guys! It was suggested I post to the full forum for discussion. I believe that the current owner is an EY.o member.

Any additional comments for this newbie prospective Ericson owner are most welcome!

Thank you, as the search continues...

Bert

bertboyer

Member I
UPDATE
Nice boat, great test sail, but sold to another buyer who made the same offer I did but a few hours earlier...

The search continues!
Bert