In Hull Transducers

TrueBlue

Member II
Has anyone installed In hull transducers for speed or depth? And if so I was curious how well this technology works and what ones you would recommend.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Very popular. You can leave the old penetrating transducer plug in, and forget it. And use GPS for speed.

Airmar makes them, just need to find one that's compatible with the chartplotter.

I lose a bit of depth since my current in-hull transducer reads only to 400 feet. But water temp readout works fine.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Has anyone installed In hull transducers for speed or depth? And if so I was curious how well this technology works and what ones you would recommend.
When I first bought our E32 in ‘73 I went with a wet box method using a large diameter piece of PVC tubing in the starboard locker closest to the main bulkhead. The tube was mounted with epoxy vertically and had a clear piece of plexiglass on top to which the transducer was mounted. The top also had a small hole to allow filling the tube with mineral oil.

Back then I had a popular Pierce Simpson analog unit mounted on a swing out bracket at the companionway. The unit functioned perfectly taking its soundings through the hull. The added plus was that the transducer head remained free of barnacles.

It wasn’t until ‘91 when I finally swapped out for a more modern digital unit that I put the transducer through the hull along with a through hull knot meter.

To answer your question, yes they do work well. …But today given you can get speed and depth from just one through hull, I’d recommend that option.

We in fact filled back in one of the bottom holes and now use a single combo transducer/knot meter.

TrueBlue

Member II
So is it possible to read speed as well or they only work with water temp and depth? I just figure the fewer holes you have the better.

David Grimm

E38-200
I have the old paddle wheel speed/temp that protrudes through the bottom of the boat. The at the launch of last season it stopped working. A quick dive showed it was crushed by the lift strap. I purchased a new one and it fit right in. Little flap door in the socket keeps water out when sensor is removed. I would remove it annually if it wasn't mounted under the air conditioning unit. I have never seen a 3 in one unit though.

Dave

peaman

Sustaining Member
I have never seen a 3 in one unit though.
I have a "DST" from B&G, made by Airmar which measures depth, speed and temperature, with NMEA2000 output. I haven't installed it yet because the through-hull needs to be replaced to accomodate the slightly larger diameter of the sensor. Wish me luck on that operation.

gabriel

Live free or die hard

Attachments

• 3C34C848-389D-4F54-99E6-1EA778818619.jpeg
    3C34C848-389D-4F54-99E6-1EA778818619.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 08BA336C-B6D4-41CF-A026-9CB99F0DC5C3.jpeg
    08BA336C-B6D4-41CF-A026-9CB99F0DC5C3.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Kevin A Wright

Member III
I put an in hull depth sounder (Actually hummingbird fish finder) in my E27 30 years ago. Worked excellent. You just had to find a flat spot of hull, grind it flat, and epoxy in place. Was a little tricky finding a good flat spot on the centerline in the bow but worked like a charm. I had it m mounted with a few degree forward rake. I much prefer to see the reef rising up before it hits my keel rather than after.

Really liked the fish finder rather than just depth since it gave you bottom contours and you could easily tell kelpy bottom from rocky from sand/mud. Very handy for anchoring. As well as scouting dive and fishing spots.

I'm sure the technology is much more advanced now. Haven't looked at it for my new boat but only because the old digital depth readout is still working fine. If it ain't broke...

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy