Hove to Speed and Direction [and Reef Considerations]

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Regarding passage time, there are many factors more important than subtleties of sail trim. Trade wind speed varies, often from 10 knots at dawn to 25 at dinner time. Constant attention to sail plan gains most--unreefing, setting spinnakers. Another factor is the course. If you wish to get there faster (than somebody else) , a continual computation and correction of course is important.

Boat speed downwind is very limited on an Ericson, which won't plane or even surf much. Upwind, the way back, subtleties are defeated by waves, and basically you're bashing into it for days or weeks, trying to find the compromise between pointing and a close reach. Then there is the center of the Pacific High, zero wind for maybe a week.

It is there that an extra half knot can be gained by a folding prop and a taut headstay and a perfected center of effort. But everybody who has done it more than once chooses to load up with extra fuel and turn on the engine. The deliveries of Transpac racers put 50-gallon fuel containers in the cockpit--huge plastic containers.

There are those who find that unsportsmanlike, or something. And my first voyage I took several days to make 100 miles, with constant attention to every zephyr. It's a good way to get a sun tan. I got over it.

Passage time often depends on the luck of the breeze. I made one outbound passage in the 32-3 in 17 days, and one in the 38 in 18. I don't really think a Cunningham hook would change that.

I should agree that cruising to me means much compromise for comfort, and reducing breakage of gear. Last summer every competitor in the SSS transpac made it under 14 days, including some Westsail 32s. And Stan Honey in a Cal 40 once did it in 11 days. SF is about a day closer than SoCal, but you can see that my times reflect cruising, not racing, speeds. I do know a crew on a 50-footer who took 54 days to return. No wind, Engine wouldn't run. They didn't enjoy it.

Vtonian

E38 - Vashon
My Dyneema core halyard looks like this, it has a braid pattern. Acts like any other line in a cam cleat.

But yeah, my raw Spectra lazyjacks are pretty slippery and that might be an issue.
FWIW, i talked to a guy at Fisheries Supply today about Amsteel in cam cleats and he said yes, it'd be slippery but also not having a cover on it was going to destroy it in the clutches as well as cam cleats, and recommended to buy whatever rope I liked, pull its core and slip it over the Amsteel at known wear points, burying a foot plus a little stitching to hold it. Seems reasonable.